Proper Whisker Pole Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
When I look through the Forespar documentation they recommend for boats up to 33' (next lower size on chart is 28') to use their LC10-18 whisker pole. In a couple of other places for whisker poles they recommend a spinnaker pole be about the same size as the J specification which from Catalina's site for the 310 is 11'9". As I have a 135 genoa on my 310 which size pole should I be looking at - a LC10-17 or a 7-17 or some other one? My plan is to use the pole in light winds using either my genoa or a drifter I kept from my old boat (note the drifter is smaller than my genoa, but very light and great for light wind). Thanks Ray

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
whisker pole

read this: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/whiskerpoles.htm

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
C310 whisker pole

I think I have a 6-12 on mine. It's just a little too short fully extended with the 135%. I would get an LC10-18 myself, if I ever get a new one. A 10-17 would work fine also.

K

Keith

Line Control Whisker Pole

I put a Forespar line control pole that is mast mounted with a track/trolley system. The pole is the LC 12-22 with UTS/UTR and was cut down by Forespar to the C-310's J measurement (11 feet) when it is retracted. You could also go with a lighter pole LC 10-18. I chose the larger diameter pole because we often have windy conditions. The retracted length is perfect for a 110 jib and the fully extended length will pole out an asymmetrical spinnaker for an eye catching wing-on-wing. I've also used a solid pole that is stored below and I can tell you that the mast mounted pole is much easier to deal with. I haven't notice any change in handling from the extra weight on the mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.