Proper sail for each wind speed

Jul 28, 2016
I race a Capri 22 - wing keel/standard rig. In my experience, a 155% can be a lot of sail when the wind is in the 10-12 true range. The boat is very light, and easily driven. For cruising - especially short handed - I would suggest a jib when the wind exceeds 12 knots for upwind work. Off the wind, an asymmetric, either from a sprit or tacked at the bow is a better choice, as the main is going to start to blanket the headsail once the wind is aft of the beam. For downwind, either sail wing on wing, flake the main and sail with just the asymmetric.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I am very concerned about very low wind, 0-6 knots, and the factory 155% genoa, I believe at least 5 oz Dacron, would be too heavy to fill properly. I am looking into having a 155% genoa made from 2 oz Dacron.

Where I sail the general wind rarely gets above 10 knots, except for the gusts. I have decided to forgo roller furling to get better sag in my head stay. My initial sail inventory is probably going to be the factory main, a factory 155% genoa, a lightweight Dacron genoa, a PX Black 155% racing genoa, a lightweight Kevlar 155% racing genoa that I am getting from someone who is selling their Capri 22, a 180% 0.6 oz tri-radial symmetrical spinnaker, and a 0.75 oz 165% tri-radial asymmetric spinnaker in an ATN sock. This should keep me moving in any wisp of a breeze to at least 10 knots at any point of sail. If I find that I am overpowered on a regular basis I will add a 135% genoa to the mix. I will be shocked if I need to go smaller than that.

How does this compare to other peoples sail inventory? Am I missing a critical sail?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I could use a couple more sails in my inventory, think you could spring for a couple more? I will gladly accept your donation......

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I am coming out of a J/120 and this is a fraction of the sails used on that boat.

What are your sail inventories?

There is lots of talk about code 0’s and drifters so I didn’t think I was that far off

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
In my humble opinion, I think you will be way over inventoried, especially for sailing solo in mostly light winds. If I were you I’d start with a main, furling (and therefore reefable) Genoa, an asymmetric spin, and maybe a drifter. That’s all you need unless you’re going to be doing some really serious racing. Instead of spending all that money on those extra sails, spend it on furlers and maybe a bowsprit someday.

Jul 28, 2016
[QUOTE=" My initial sail inventory is probably going to be the factory main, a factory 155% genoa, a lightweight Dacron genoa, a PX Black 155% racing genoa, a lightweight Kevlar 155% racing genoa that I am getting from someone who is selling their Capri 22, a 180% 0.6 oz tri-radial symmetrical spinnaker, and a 0.75 oz 165% tri-radial asymmetric spinnaker in an ATN sock. This should keep me moving in any wisp of a breeze to at least 10 knots at any point of sail. If I find that I am overpowered on a regular basis I will add a 135% genoa to the mix. I will be shocked if I need to go smaller than that. /QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful inventory. I should be so lucky. I sail with a Ulman Dacron Main, an Ulman pentex 155, a Dacron blade, and a oversized 0.6 oz asymmetric flying from a retractable sprit. I purchased my boat two seasons ago. I replaced my main the first season, and added the sprit and spinnaker last season (previously flew a symmetric from a pole). The head sails are new for 2019. I figure I am pretty much done buying sails for a bit. If I were to add another sail, it would likely be a 135, but the wind range for me is so narrow that I am not sure it is worthwhile.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A mainsail, a 155, and a very oversized kite on a furler that sees the light of day maybe 10 times a year. Is there room left over inside your boat for anything?

Jul 28, 2016
I am coming out of a J/120 and this is a fraction of the sails used on that boat.

There is lots of talk about code 0’s and drifters so I didn’t think I was that far off
The Capri 22 forum migrated to SailboatOwners a ways back. Previously the Capri 22 forum was a closed forum, and the only participants were folks with specific interest in this boat. Now that we are hosted on SailboatOwners, it is an open forum, and replies come from boat owners of all types and sizes. I think "most" of the folks talking about Code Zero's, and top-down furlers, etc., are sailing larger boats. You certain can do virtually anything you want to equip your boat to suit your needs, but comparing a Capri 22 with a J/120 is kind of like comparing a pedal car with a Corvette.

I previously owned and raced a 30 foot keelboat. It has more in common with the Capri 22 than a J/120, but I can tell you it's a completely different animal.

Aug 1, 2011
You are also going to get a larger voice of reason cross section. On small western inland lakes, you learn early on that you usually don't tack on the windshifts. Reading about this abundant sail inventory, in this environment, this person would still be hoisting a different sail and we'd be home on the dock relaxing.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I am learning that. I have to keep toning down my thoughts, although I have a few ideas that I still want to try to make it as trimable and tunable as possible.

Aug 1, 2011
Get out there and sail it with what’s it’s got. When you can’t make it go any better (not necessarily faster) better than a repeatable point, then it’s time to start thinking about drilling holes if that’s the road you want to go down.
The fact that some of us have things like top down furlers, does not mean they were acquired as go fast. Our kite could bring the rig down in the right conditions. Having a furler allows big nylon in no wind, with the comfort of knowing it can be put away, right now.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@letlmt I'm no way an expert but on my old O'day 25 with my drifter polled out and my North Sail Main wing on wing with a preventer I was able to keep up and pass C30 and C22 flying spins on our lake in light wind. Was very fun and easy to do. I was chomping at the bit to buy a code 0 but other lake sailors in my area said I was doing just fine with my limited inventory and to keep tuning for another year before sinking any money in sails.