Proper Racor Primary Fuel Filter size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2006
C&C 29 MK-1 Mandeville (Lake Pontchartrain), LA
I just traded up from a Macgregor 26S (trailerable) to a C&C 29 with a Yanmar 2GM. So that I could become familiar with the engine (since diesels are new to me after o/b's my whole life) I decided to change the air & fuel filters and change the oil/filter.

My question is on the Racor primary fuel filter. I'm guessing that the secondary fuel filter, mounted on the engine is 2 micron. Anyway, the boat has for its primary a Racor R12S: 2 micron. I'm thinking that a 2 micron primary is too small since the secondary is probably 2 micron. I want to change it out and put a R12T: 5 micron as the primary.

Any thoughts or guidance based on what's mounted on your diesels?

Bonus Question: I'm looking at my deep cycle battery and it's not being re-charged adequately. Probably time for a new battery. Anyway, I checked the alternator with the diesel running and my multimeter showed the alternator putting out 18 volts on the pos node on the alt. Sounds high, but the battery was showing 11.8 volts of charge, not even a full 12 v!

Thanks again!
Kevin B.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Racor and Battery

Kevin,

I also traded up from a 26S to a CS30 a few years ago. 26S was a great learning boat for me.

(1) Small Diesel engine draws very little fuel. I replace the 2micron primary every 1-2 years and the secondary every 4 years. I stayed with 2micron for the primary to avoid changing the secondary so often. It cost more.

(2) I also has a separate electric diesel pump and 2 micron filter to cycle filter the fuel independant of the engine. This is to "polish" the fuel.

(3) Always add diesel additive every year to kill algae.

(4) Your alternator is putting out too much volt. When the engine is running it should not exceed 14.8v. Possibily the regulator is shot. The battery is weak too. It should show 12.8v charged. You can bring the alternator to any automotive electrical shop to have the regulator changed for less than $30. If it is possible run the voltage sensing wire to the top of the battery. There are losses in the big cable between the alternator and the battery due to poor crimp or bad contact.

I just traded up from a Macgregor 26S (trailerable) to a C&C 29 with a Yanmar 2GM. So that I could become familiar with the engine (since diesels are new to me after o/b's my whole life) I decided to change the air & fuel filters and change the oil/filter.

My question is on the Racor primary fuel filter. I'm guessing that the secondary fuel filter, mounted on the engine is 2 micron. Anyway, the boat has for its primary a Racor R12S: 2 micron. I'm thinking that a 2 micron primary is too small since the secondary is probably 2 micron. I want to change it out and put a R12T: 5 micron as the primary.

Any thoughts or guidance based on what's mounted on your diesels?

Bonus Question: I'm looking at my deep cycle battery and it's not being re-charged adequately. Probably time for a new battery. Anyway, I checked the alternator with the diesel running and my multimeter showed the alternator putting out 18 volts on the pos node on the alt. Sounds high, but the battery was showing 11.8 volts of charge, not even a full 12 v!

Thanks again!
Kevin B.

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
HIGHLY recommend the 500

To respond to your question about fuel filters, it's sort of like anchors. In a word, bigger is better. You want the largest amount of media working for you as you can fit. Yeah, for our diesels it's flow capacity overkill, but it'll swallow a LOT more crap before it quits.

Other bonuses on the 500 (I'd fit the 1000 if I chose to give up the room) is the the filter cartridges are actually cheaper than the smaller spin on jobs. Plus, it loads from the top so you're not spilling fuel when pulling a cartridge.

Finally, I've put a vacuum gauge on mine so that afterwards (it has a drag pointer) I can check how full the media is BEFORE it clogs.

Attachments

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Consult a Yanmar dealer and find out what Yanmar recommends. Unless you run into a problem stick with the manufacturers specs. It's usually a safe bet.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The

The secondary on engine filter on a Yanmar is a 3 micron rated filter. Putting a 2 micron rated filter in the primary defeats the sequential filtering benefit of having two filters. Most every expert on the subject recommends a 10 or 30 as a primary.

The other draw back to a 2 mic filter is the potential for early and untimely plugging if you don't have absolutely clean fuel and a clean tank. In rough weather or lumpy seas this means you could lose power just when you really need it.

I run a 10 mic in mine but my secondary is a 3 micron. I have also run 30 micron filters but never use a 2 micron primary.

BTW I second everything said about the Racor 500 series filters. They are easy to maintain, clean and use.

A 2micron filler as a primary is not a good idea. Here is some very interesting reading from Steve D'Antonio that sums it up quite well.

Steve D'Antonio said:
2, 10, OR 30 MICRONS?

No discussion of primary fuel filtration would be complete without some mention of the great micron debate. The question is often asked: what is the proper micron rating for my primary filter element, 2, 10, or 30? Engine and filter manufacturers are in near universal agreement (although not always for the same reason) that the primary filter should be either 30 or 10 microns. Many cruisers and vessel operators, both commercial and recreational, are adamant about using only 2-micron elements in their primary filter bodies. Their argument goes something like this: Why change two filters when I can change just one? If all of the debris gets captured by the primary filter (which, incidentally, is usually much easier to change), why rely on the secondary filter for anything other than a backup?

While I know that at least half of the readers and one editor will disagree with what I’m about to say, here’s my position. (Some of what follows is paraphrased from an article by Gary Morgan on the boatdiesel.com website.) The distribution of contamination particles in a fuel system follows a protocol known in the particlecounting business as log normal distribution, which states that the number of particles is inversely proportional to the size of the particles. Thus, if a sample of contaminated fuel contains 1,000 30-micron particles, it may have 10,000 10-micron particles and 20,000 2- micron particles. The average 2-micron secondary filter is especially efficient at capturing millions of fine particles until called upon to also capture larger, “gravel”-sized particles as well. The reason for this is straightforward. In spite of their absolute-sounding ratings of 2, 10, and 30 microns, these filters do not possess an absolute ability to capture all particles of their respective ratings and larger. Some larger sized dirt inevitably slips through.

However, because of a phenomenon known as microcaking, as the filter begins to capture some contaminants, it becomes more efficient at capturing more of the smaller particles. The dirt actually becomes part of the filtering process. If both large and small particles are included in the mix, the micro-caking process is hindered; the larger “gravel” leaves holes in the caked surface layer, allowing some debris to pass through the filter. Picture a bucket with a few holes in the bottom. If you pour fine sand into the bucket, some of the sand will filter through the holes, but eventually the sand itself will capture more new sand than is filtering through the holes. But if you pour a mixture of fine sand and gravel into the same bucket, the gravel will help keep pathways open for the sand to continue to filter through to the holes in the bottom.

Additionally, using a 2-micron element as the primary filter means, in theory, that all or most of the contamination will be captured in this element and that virtually nothing will be captured by the secondary, on engine filter. Thus, you’ve effectively halved your filter media surface area; you now have only one filter that must contend with all of the contamination. If you happen to take on a batch of particularly dirty fuel, this primary filter may quickly become overwhelmed. If, on the other hand, your primary filter has a 30- or 10- micron rating, then the contamination can be divided among the two filters, offering greater overall media surface area.

The finer filter, because of the lack of large particles, will operate more efficiently to boot. While individual results may suggest that 2-micron primary filtration works, this may only be the case when dealing with relatively clean fuel. Once dirty fuel is encountered, segregating the contamination into two locations is simply more efficient and desirable, and most engine and filter manufacturers agree with or require this approach.

(Editor’s note: The editor Steve is referring to is, of course, me. I would like to comment that I follow a 2 micron strategy because I have a fuel polishing system, which routinely filters the fuel in all tanks down to 2 microns through a large Racor 1000 filter. If I did not have this system, I would add an additional Racor filter, with a 10-micron element, between the fuel tank and the switchable, 2-micron Racor filters. That would provide multi stage filtration while keeping the on-engine filter off my dance card. The small on-engine filter is impossible to monitor, and I will never accept having to change it when it shuts the engine down in a seaway. Sorry, but I think creating this single point of failure is a rather reckless form of Russian roulette.

THE SECONDARY FILTER

The secondary fuel filter, the one that’s nearly always mounted on the engine, is designed to capture the finest of particles in the most efficient manner. Many secondary filters also possess the ability to separate and capture water, and some include a water sensor and alarm as well. The micron rating of this filter, while not user selectable, is usually between 2 and 7 microns. Because the secondary filter is under pressure, it cannot be equipped with a vacuum gauge, so the proper replacement interval may be unclear. The micro-caking phenomenon would lead one to believe that a filter that isn’t clogged should never be replaced. However, most engine manufacturers recommend annual or seasonal replacement, and this makes good sense. (Over time, the fuel-saturated paper of the pleated element may soften and tear.) Because these filters are opaque, it’s worth pouring the contents into a container for inspection when they are removed for replacement. If free water is evident, closely inspect your primary water-separating filter for internal damage or malfunctions.

A SECONDARY ALTERNATIVE

If you simply loath the thought of replacing your secondary fuel filter because it is maddeningly difficult to access or you have a primal fear of allowing air to enter your fuel system, there is hope. You can simply install two Racor or equivalent filters, in series, one after the other. The first one is your primary filter; equip it with a 30- or 10-micron filter element. The second one becomes your secondary filter; equip it with a 2-micron filter. You’ve created an easily serviced, multistage filtration system. The on-engine (now tertiary) filter should never require replacement; however, replacing it annually at your convenience while dockside makes good sense and will keep you on the right side of your engine manufacturer’s guidelines.

Having been on a delivery, back in the early 90's, when the engine failed at the most inopportune time, due to a "new" (owner stated less than three weeks) 2 micron filter I propose that this can be as much of a safety issue as anything. We replaced that filter but the owner only had one spare 2 micron on board. We put into port and purchased two 30 mic replacements. After 10 hours of run time, in lumpy seas, the engine again failed with the second 2 mic. We replaced it with one of the spare 30 mic cartridges we'd bought, continued the delivery and wracked up another 60+ hours of run time with not a hiccup.

Granted this was a single screw down east style boat, with arguably bad fuel, being delivered from down South but but the truth is the 30 mic filter worked flawlessly and we had already plugged two 2 mic filters in short order. Sequential filtering is key and using a 2 mic primary basically eliminates any sequential filtering.

Buying a vacuum gauge, as mentioned above, and not understanding how it works is a bit of a waste of money. Vacuum gauges work on vacuum. In order to properly monitor a Racor vacuum gauge you need to be at or near WOT and under load. You can NOT monitor a vacuum gauge at idle by sticking your head in the engine compartment and looking at it. Does not work, won't work unless it has a drag pointer.

Fortunately the guys at Sailors Solutions had a gauge company build them a vacuum gauge with a drag pointer that can be monitored even with the engine off. The drag pointer follows the needle and then stays at the highest reading. They are great!

Honestly a good number of boat owners whose boats I've been on have no real clue how to properly monitor their vacuum gauge. I have even seen about six or seven installed up stream from the pump!! For what they paid they might as well have installed a turbo boost gauge on a non turbo engine cause it gives about the same quality of information. ;)

Sailors Solutions Vacuum Gauge With Drag Pointer
http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=VG01KT

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
At a seminar over the winter, the company that does initial setup of the Beneteau/Yanmar (and other make) engines made a presentation. He said two microns is too small unless you have an electric pump. The engine pumps just do not have enough suction- especially when the filter starts to clog. TEN for the filters. The finer the filter, the more they collect, the more often they have to be changed.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
The filter on your engine has a filtering area of 333cm^2, is made of cotton or paper fiber and has a mesh of 10~15 microns. PN: 104500-55710. It should be replaced every 250 hours. And, it is a PIA to replace.

I use R26s canister filters as my "pre-filter" (I'm avoiding "primary" and "secondary" as folks disagree on which is which). They are 2 micron element filters and I've used them all over the Pacific with fuel picked-up from many an odd place in many under-developed spots. I've sailed for long periods in horrid weather at sea. One year New Zealand put an additive in their diesel that caused horrible gelling and clumping. I was in Noumea when the boats most effected by that came in. Folks with new filters or mult-filter elements seemed to do better than folks with older filters. But (and this is somewhat hearsay) there didn't seem to be much correlation to mesh size and failure... Anyway, based on my experience I would not worry too much about pre-mature filter death if using a 2 micron filter. In short, single-stage 2 micron filtering is practical and I don't understand why it isn't better.

Congrats on the new boat! :)

--Tom.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The filter on your engine has a filtering area of 333cm^2, is made of cotton or paper fiber and has a mesh of 10~15 microns. PN: 204500-55710. It should be replaced every 250 hours. And, it is a PIA to replace.
The on engine, secondary, 2GM filter is a 3 micron rated element.

Manufacturer: Yanmar
Part Number: 104500-55710

Description:
FUEL FILTER / ELEMENT FOR MOST GM AND HM SERIES ENGINES AS WELL AS SOME QM ENGINES SEE DESCRIPTION FOR DETAILS
104500-55710 3 Micron Fuel filter. Use this genuine Yanmar fuel filter for 1GM, 1GM10, 2GM, 2GM20, 2GM20F, 2QM15, 3GM, 3GM30, 3GMF, 3GM30F, 2QM20, 3QM30, 3HM, 3HMF, 3HM35, 3HM35F, SB8, SB12, YSB8, YSB12

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Interesting. I typed my info directly from the service manual (sec3.29) and the part number from the parts manual (fig 48). Both of these have been at odds with other Yanmar sources before, but I'd be nice to know where your info is coming from.

--Tom.

Aug 27, 2006
C&C 29 MK-1 Mandeville (Lake Pontchartrain), LA
Guys thanks for all your input! That confirmed my hunch that a 2mic Primary was too small. I'm going to scrap the 2 micron R12S that the PO had for the Primary and go to a 10 micron and then leave the 3 micron secondary one in place.

Any thoughts though on my alternator's reading of 18 volts? I agree with Alexco38's comments that 18v si too high.

Kevin

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
The easiest is the Yanmar Distributor Torresen Marine.

Fuel Filter (LINK)

I have also confirmed this with Yanmar tech support..
Cool. Nice link. Thanks!

For the record, I made a typo in my post and it is indeed 104500-55710. I just saw that now. My only excuse is I'm typing on a tiny net-book keyboard and have big fingers. Sorry.

Don't know what to say about the shop manual that says it is a 10~15 micron mesh (claims it is cotton in the table and paper in the text)... Maybe that equates to a 3 micron capture rate... :confused:

--Tom.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Any thoughts though on my alternator's reading of 18 volts? I agree with Alexco38's comments that 18v si too high.
Are your cables hot when the system is charging? My first guess would be a bad connection or crimp somewhere along the circuit. Maybe, you have a bad or undersized wire.

--Tom.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is the 18 volts with no wires on it? It sounds like an open-circuit (no load) reading, especially if you only get 11.8 at the battery. That's not even a charge.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Bonus Question

Maybe the regulator in the alternator took a sh..t and that would explain the higher voltage

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Through the years we have found we have to replace our primary filter 3 times for every time we replaced our secondary. We have dirt in our tank and that is part of the problem but to balance things out a bit we have recently gone to a 30 micron primary instead of the 10 micron we had previously been using. We'll let you know if anything changes. The secondary filter is a paper element 3 micron. The proper terminology of "primary" and "secondary" work perfectly well, it is when we start using left or right for port and starboard that we get into problems.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Through the years we have found we have to replace our primary filter 3 times for every time we replaced our secondary.
How do you know when you have to change your engine mounted filter? I change mine out annually, which is way over the 250 hour limit and they always look perfect.

My philosophy on this is that the filter on the motor is there to catch the junk that gets into the system when you change first stage filter elements, to grab any junk that might come from the lift pump or be introduced in the return leg (if that is led back to the filter as it is on some 2gm20s) and to act as an emergency backup for the main filter if it gets a rip. I REALLY never want that filter to clog-up as it is a very difficult filter to change. If your filtration system is working now are you just changing it so you can get better "value" out of that tiny backup-filter on your engine? Seems like a false economy to me.

I'm assuming you use "primary" as the first filter in the system, "secondary" as the engine filter. On three filter set-ups what do you call each filter?

--Tom.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Alternate Filter Source - ??

I was recently in a Tractor Supply store and they had fuel filter housings and filter elements for far less money than the typical boating supply. I recently priced the MA500 Racor with the twin housings and bypass that allows you to throw a valve and keep running while changing out the clogged element, extremely pricey. Anywhere from 750 to 1200. Just wondering why not use these lower cost units from tractor supply since they are filtering fuel for basically the same diesel engines? Anyone ever tried and any experience to share?

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Re: Alternate Filter Source - ??

Regarding your alternator output, a month or so ago I had the same problem (voltage output was over 16 and getting close to 18). My problem turned out to be a badly corroded connection on the alternator (I have an external regulator). After a quick cleanup of the corrosion everything was back to normal. Make sure your connections are clean and tight!

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Alternate with different biocides.

Kevin,

I also traded up from a 26S to a CS30 a few years ago. 26S was a great learning boat for me.

(1) Small Diesel engine draws very little fuel. I replace the 2micron primary every 1-2 years and the secondary every 4 years. I stayed with 2micron for the primary to avoid changing the secondary so often. It cost more.

(2) I also has a separate electric diesel pump and 2 micron filter to cycle filter the fuel independant of the engine. This is to "polish" the fuel.

(3) Always add diesel additive every year to kill algae.

(4) Your alternator is putting out too much volt. When the engine is running it should not exceed 14.8v. Possibily the regulator is shot. The battery is weak too. It should show 12.8v charged. You can bring the alternator to any automotive electrical shop to have the regulator changed for less than $30. If it is possible run the voltage sensing wire to the top of the battery. There are losses in the big cable between the alternator and the battery due to poor crimp or bad contact.
Rather like human anti-biotics, some are for this infection, some are for that. For example, Raycor's biocide and Biobor are different and would compliment each other. Read the ingredients and compare. There are only 3 biocides registered inthe US - the rest is re-packaging of those 3. Which is better? That's like comparing Bacitracin to Amoxicillin. It depends. (I researched this at length in the lab for a magazine).

Status
Not open for further replies.