"Proper" cruise speed & rpms

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

I'd like to hear some feedback on the cruising speed & rpms of various boats. My 84 C-27 with a 14h.p. Universal diesel seems to cruise easily at 2000rpm, and makes about 6 knots over the bottom, according to my GPS. Wind and current sometimes conspire to increase or decrease the speed, but the boat never struggles. Fuel consumption is also good. Raising the rpms higher creates more noise, and very little increase in speed. (Hull speed is about 6.25 knots, I believe). Where is the sweet spot on your boat? Higher or lower rpms? What is your typical speed through the water, or over the bottom? I appreciate hearing any comments or thoughts. Randy

R

Robert Fischer

similar capabilities

I have an 85 C27, with the same 14hp Universal diesel. I generally motor at 2000 rpm and make about 6 knots (+/-) also. It seems to burn slightly less than a quart an hour. Pretty darn good.

B

Bob Robeson

Boat speed.

I had a 1982 Newport 30 with a Universal 5214, an 11 HP diesel and I ran at 2000 rpm and 6 knots on a good calm day. 5.5 was normal. At about 2400, or WOT I could get 6 to 6.3 knots. At 2000 RPM I used about 8 oz. per hour. I now have a 1986 Catalina with a Universal M-25 21 HP diesel engine. I cruise at 2500 RPM at 6 knotts and can get 6.5 at WOT and the engine starts to heat up at that RPM. At 2500 RPM I use just under a gallon an hour. Bob C-36 Emerald Oddysea

Status
Not open for further replies.