Propane Tank Deja Vu

• Thread starter Carl and Juliana Dupre
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

First, THANKS to all for the useful responses to our first post on this topics (01/04). Per usual this site is just a wealth of information and experience, as well as a lot of fun! From those responses we have concluded; (1) the bigger the boat, the bigger the propane tank that can be stored (only logical), (2) as for the H340, that teeny-weeny 4-pounder is all it will take, (3) aluminum is vastly preferred, and (4) the 4-pounder will last several weekends at least, but a second tank is probably a good idea, especially before a multi-week vacation cruise. Okay! We concur. The saga begins! First we queried Hunter, and the tank supplied with the boat is steel (expletive deleted), as are any spares that you buy directly through them. We have looked around a bit, but; (1) 4-pounders in any material are not overly common, (2) aluminum is any size is not all that common, and (3) aluminum 4-pounders....well...haven't found one yet. Does anyone out there know where to buy aluminum 4-pounder propane tanks that fit the H340 propane locker. Thanks in advance. C & J H340 s/v Syzygy

T

TOM MCNAMARA

TANKS [alot]

I read this article and payed very little attention, #1=======450 We have 2 10lb tanks #2=======I dontt think they are aluminum #3=======never hoid [n.y.]of a 4 lb tank #4=======If it is that important,buy another 340 and through away everything but the tank,thats what Eddie Breedan would do

T

Ted Souter

I tried to help...

however, I found 0 searching the 'Net. This is what worked for me and at least three others in my marina. I purchased 10lb. upright aluminum propane tank. I measuted the diameter of it and purchased a slightly larger stainless steel fender holder that attaches to the aft pulpit stanchion. Notched out 1X4" piece of teak to fit horizontally across the bottom. Placed propane bottle in the SS fender holder. Attached appropriate propane hoses. Voila! Hope this helps...

C

Carl & Jule

Ted Souter: More Description, Please.....

What you did with a 10-pound tank sounds interesting, but we are not certain that we have "got it" completely. It sounds like the tank was held in a fender holder outside of a closed propane locker. Is that legitimate? Did we mis-interpret your description? Please try again; it sounds like a good idea that we are somehow missing. Do you have a picture for the picture forum? Carl & Jule s/v 'Syzygy'

D

Debra B

Propane rules

Propane that is stored inside the boat needs to be in an airtight locker with a "drain" vent in the bottom that leads overboard -- not near exhaust. Only low-pressure lines can leave the locker. If if isn't inside the boat, but vents overboard, most things will probably be OK. ABCY rules dictate what is allowed and what isn't. The key is to keep the gas out of the boat. I have been told -- and intend to test it -- that a 10 pound cylinder will fit in a 5 gallon bucket (paint or pickles, take your pick). I would worry about having the regulator exposed to the elements, and I would want a solenoid in an enclosed space. I think that both Westmarine and BoatUS have special order sections if you call the 800 numbers. I would also try Defender and SailNET if you are determined to stay with 4 pounds. That just doesn't sound like much capacity.

J

Jerry Olivero

source for Aluminum Propane tanks for H-340

10lb Vertical Aluminum propane tanks (Seaward Products Part # - 93151) that will fit in the propane locker of a H-340 or H-310 can be found at the following URL. http://www.seawardproducts.com/gas2.htm The tanks are also available thru West Marine or BoatUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.