Prop walk and the outboard motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Is the effect of prop walk different on an outboard motor than an inboard motor. Given a right hand prop, prop walk will cause the stern to move to the port when backing. But the difference is in an inboard, clean water is passing over the rudder while on an outboard, the prop wash is deflected off the rudder when in reverse. Any helpfull hints on backing out of a tight spot? Wind is from astern, channel is to port with wind hitting my port side as I back out to starboard. Thanks.

D

Doug

Never found any

In many years of having a outboard I never could detect any prop walk. For those last corrections I just turned the OB. I believe this caused because the propeller shaft is horizontal like a sail drive. I have heard these have no prop walk. I find prop walk effect is between the time you change direction and the rudder gets lamina flow. In general I find my H-36 easier to handle in docking than the 22'OB I started with. The mass of the boat slows the effect of wind. If you make a mistake there is not much forgiveness on a heavy boat. On a 22' a boat-hook and a pull will correct most problems. I would never want to give up prop-walk as long as there is a port bow in tie up. Starboard one are very difficult on my boat. When we cruse conversations with the dock master get involved. If it is a windy day and a open marina you have to work out dock well ahead between port, starboard, bow in or stern in and pick what works best. For me this is critical because I am single handing. (passenger no crew)

W

Wright Ellis s/v WhiskyII

Me, too ...

No substantial prop walk with an outboard in reverse. Two pieces of advice: First, put the engine in reverse at idle speed. Cast off all but one line. This allows your prop to gain "purchase" so when you cast off your last line and go to full throttle, she's alredy moving. You'll be amazed at the difference this technique will make. Second, use your rub rail in conjunction with a spring line. Here, I'm assuming you're in a slip with wood pilings and have a good rubber rail. Hunters' rails are substantial and can be employed as a fulcrum if the wind blows your bow toward your slip before you can gain forward steerage.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
When using an outboard...

...it is easier to offset the propwalk factor by turning the outboard slightly to offset any prop walk.

B

Bob

Get her moving first

Rudder efficacy is a function of the speed of the water moving across it, so you want the boat to be moving before you input any rudder changes. If the outboard prop is anywhere near the rudder, it is helpful to get the boat moving in reverse first, shift to neutral so that the flow across the rudder is not turbulent, THEN begin steering. As long as the boat has any motion at all and there isn't a strong crosswind, she will then go where you want.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So then...

If an outboard motor does not have significant prop walk, can I still perform a pivot turn as depicted here: http://www.videos.sailingcourse.com/pivot_turn.htm I have only tried this once in an open harbor just to see what would happen. I did not have a frame of reference so I don't know if I executed the manuver correctly. I didn't want to try this where there were other boats present. Appreciate everyones response so far. Coming out of my slip hot is not an option, though I have done that before and it scared the heck out of me. I guess more from a lack of confidence than anything else. *yks

Status
Not open for further replies.