Prop size for my 28.5

Jul 12, 2023
Hunter 28.5 St. Pete
I have a 85 Hunter 28.5 and I need my prop replaced. The marina I'm at needed to know the size of prop that would fit on my prop shaft and wouldn't purchase one for me unless I had the correct size. What are the details on the prop that came standard with my boat? Thanks for any responses.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
By Prop size I suppose you meant the diameter and pitch of blade. It depends on the engine you have.
As example, a friend's H280 with a Yanmar 3YM20 has Campbell Sailor Prop 3RH 14"D x 8.5"P

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Most props have their dimensions stamped on them. Look at the hub there should be a 2 numbers possibly with a x between them and an R or L. The numbers will be the diameter and pitch and the letters tell whether it is a right hand or left hand prop.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do not guess or use someones numbers. You need to evaluate your boat. They want to know the diameter of your shaft. The type of end on the shaft. The distance between the shaft and the bottom of your boat. Additionally the engine data, and the transmission. All of this goes into building the prop that will fit "YOUR BOAT" not just any boat.

A Campbell Sailor from WestbyNorth.com is a good choice for power and above adequate for sailing. If you are concerned about racing you might look at the cost of a fold able prop. They can optimize your sailing by minimizing the drag of the prop in the water.