prop shaft

Feb 16, 2019
oday 28 Lake Tahoe
Earlier this year, I purchased a 1989 Oday 27. The boat came with a new volvo penta motor and transmission. The prop shaft broke at the connection to the transmission. Service guys think the shaft was not aligned properly when the motor was put in.
The shaft appears to be original to the boat because it is brass.
I'm looking for shaft specs and a source for a replacement.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sailherr Reno/Tahoe

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an O’Day 322 (1988).

I replaced my old bronze shaft a year or 2 ago.
It was 1” diam.

You should be able to take the old one (or a piece of it) to a marine shop and have them measure if you are not sure.

Length is important...

As is the taper.

Do you have the old one?

Greg

Nov 17, 2019
O'Day 32 CC Dania Beach
Earlier this year, I purchased a 1989 Oday 27. The boat came with a new volvo penta motor and transmission. The prop shaft broke at the connection to the transmission. Service guys think the shaft was not aligned properly when the motor was put in.
The shaft appears to be original to the boat because it is brass.
I'm looking for shaft specs and a source for a replacement.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sailherr Reno/Tahoe
I have an O’Day 322 (1988).

I replaced my old bronze shaft a year or 2 ago.
It was 1” diam.

You should be able to take the old one (or a piece of it) to a marine shop and have them measure if you are not sure.

Length is important...

As is the taper.

Do you have the old one?

Greg
Do you have the old shaft?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
It couldn't have been brass (for a variety of reasons).

Was the shaft broken when you bought the boat?

If not, did it run with a bunch of vibration during the sea trail? (Did you do a sea trail?)

Was the break at the face of the coupling between the transmission and the shaft? Was there any damage to the cutlass bearing? What kind of "gap" at the break did you notice? (e.g., did the shaft back-out?)

Is the prop a fixed blade one? Does the prop look like it's damaged so that it is inducing or induced some odd loads on the shaft?

Nov 17, 2019
O'Day 32 CC Dania Beach
It couldn't have been brass (for a variety of reasons).

Was the shaft broken when you bought the boat?

If not, did it run with a bunch of vibration during the sea trail? (Did you do a sea trail?)

Was the break at the face of the coupling between the transmission and the shaft? Was there any damage to the cutlass bearing? What kind of "gap" at the break did you notice? (e.g., did the shaft back-out?)

Is the prop a fixed blade one? Does the prop look like it's damaged so that it is inducing or induced some odd loads on the shaft?
Wow ! lots of questions ? I have had this boat for many years, it is just tired like me and needs some much needed maintenance. I need a prop shaft had to cut it at the coupler because it would come out, stuffing box needs to be replaced cutlass was old and tired. U got a shaft??

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Capt'nJim, I was directing my questions at sailherr. Your question was already asked about the "old shaft", so it could be matched (assuming that it worked). I assume that sailherr will use stainless steel vs. bronze -- but maybe not.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It would be bronze or stainless steel. You will need to measure the old one or take it to a marine shop to make the new one. There can be quite a bit a variation even with the same model. Boats are not like cars.

Nov 17, 2019
O'Day 32 CC Dania Beach
Capt'nJim, I was directing my questions at sailherr. Your question was already asked about the "old shaft", so it could be matched (assuming that it worked). I assume that sailherr will use stainless steel vs. bronze -- but maybe not.
Shaft was in perfect condition and yes soild Brass what a heavy chunk it is. I cried when I had to cut it out

Nov 17, 2019
O'Day 32 CC Dania Beach
It would be bronze or stainless steel. You will need to measure the old one or take it to a marine shop to make the new one. There can be quite a bit a variation even with the same model. Boats are not like cars.
Well I am finding this out as no one seems to have any used drive train parts. So tomorrow it's make phone calls, there are some place here in Florida which do Prop shafts, some are pricy it's a boat eh! some are reasonable. Iam on the hard right now doing a bottom job too so been sanding and fixing and replacing LOL

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Well I am finding this out as no one seems to have any used drive train parts. So tomorrow it's make phone calls, there are some place here in Florida which do Prop shafts, some are pricy it's a boat eh! some are reasonable. Iam on the hard right now doing a bottom job too so been sanding and fixing and replacing LOL
I'd start with Wholesale Marine Propellers and Marine Hardware distributor -Wholesale marine parts distributor
Stainless Steel or Bronze (i.e., not brass, Jim)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Yes, I have the old shaft....why? Is it worth something?
Greg
To the Spartans :^)))).
[There are other "old shaft" jokes, or approximations thereof, thaton could make. :^))]