PROP BLADE PREP

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have recently acquired a used three bladed prop that will fit my boat. It will be a while until the boat is hauled for bottom work at which time I will swap the props out. I would like input on how to prep the prop in order to avoid barnacle build up and fouling. I've met other sailors who have had great results in using Prop speed, but the amount you have to buy would cover four to five props, is not cheap and in my opinion wasteful for one prop.
So I turn to all of you. What do you do? A step by step process explanation along with branding product recommendations would be really great. Here it's not about selling a brand but the experiences you have had with what works well and what does not. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The least expensive and short lived, maybe one season if you don't motor a lot, is one of the zinc spray paints, Pettit makes one and there are several other brands, including Rustoleum Galvanizing spray paint.

We're using Crystal Prop this year as we travel. Easier to apply and less expansive than Prop Speed, but still expensive at about $120. It is a new product, so there is isn't much experience with it.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
On my currently mounted prop, I used the Rustoleum Galvanizing Spray, however I believe I might have applied it in a wrong manner. I sprayed it directly on. After some drying time (a week), when mounting the prop, the applied spray started flaking. Should I have applied a base primer?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
On my currently mounted prop, I used the Rustoleum Galvanizing Spray, however I believe I might have applied it in a wrong manner. I sprayed it directly on. After some drying time (a week), when mounting the prop, the applied spray started flaking. Should I have applied a base primer?
Did you clean and sand the prop with 80 grit?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
What do you do? A step by step process explanation along with branding product recommendations would be really great. Here it's not about selling a brand but the experiences you have had with what works well and what does not. Thanks.
Just coated my prop a few weeks ago. I coated with interluxe 2000e two part epoxy. Let it dry until it until not fully cured, but hard enough until it doesn't stick to thumb pressure when touching. Then "hot coat"/overcoat with antifouling paint. Unfortunately, I don't know the longevity because I haul out on a multi year schedule. 2000e is an excellent primer for metal & barrier coat for fiberglass. I always purchase a quart when hauling out to touch up rust spots on the keel, so I have some on hand to coat the prop also. Read about this several years ago in a sailing rag, sorry that I can't provide more detail. Don't expect multi year longevity on a prop with any coating.