ProMariner Protech-4 Series On board Battery Charger

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I would like some input from others here regarding my 2000 340 (original 2000) ProMariner Protech-4 Series Battery Charger.
I‘ve never had any issues with it in all these years and still don’t.
I’m on a mooring all season and only use the charger while the boat is on the hard for the winter. I know, Not the best battery maintenance routine but its what I can do.
What I have is (2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries Flooded Lead Acid, wired in series - House Bank) (1 - 12 volt Reserve Flooded Lead Acid)
Today I noticed the panel that covers the charger settings was loose. So I took it off and looked at the settings the charger is set to. Not an easy feat by any stretch.
1. Set for Lead Acid Batteries
2. Set for 1 Hour Absorption Rate
I am looking for advice as to whether the Absorption settings are right. The batteries charge just fine, but looking at the page from the manual I have there are other setting’s available to me.
Please excuse the quality of the photos, as this is not the most conveniently accessible area to get a camera into. Let alone focus and click the button. I did mark the settings on the photos to help and included the page from the manual I have.
Do others use different rates of absorption hours than mine is set at and why.
Thank you for the help.

IMG_0689.jpeg
IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
  • Helpful
Sep 26, 2008
Stu,
All very valid points. I’ll start looking at new ones now. Thank you for the links. And a more accessible area to mount it in.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
sc, glad to be able to try to help. You didn't say your charger was a "Flyback" model but I figured from the year it could have been, so gave you the info; most appreciative that you read it and found it helpful - you'd be surprised at how many don't. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I also suggest you keep it disconnected until you get a replacement; because fire...
Oddly enough, the most preferred replacement is now also named ProMariner, but by a completely different company. Sterling makes an identical model. Maine Sail has an excellent writeup about them:

Good luck, all the best.

• Helpful
Sep 26, 2008
No its not a Flyback model. But I have seen them before, years ago, on others boats. I‘ll get into MaineSail article later this weekend. Thanks for the help and guidance Stu.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the most preferred replacement is now also named ProMariner, but by a completely different company. Sterling makes an identical model. Maine Sail has an excellent writeup about them:
:plus:
Stu knows his stuff.:clap:

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 461 Kiawah Island, SC
I recommend a battery maintainer when laid up. It's a small trickle charger, that cannot do what Stu said. Used for antique cars, mowers and boats.
The 1 hour float time is weird to me. Mine is automatic, 3 states. Bulk, float, absorption.