Project boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2005
- - new orleans
I hope it's ok to put this here. I see there is a classified section, but this boat isn't actually for sale. Since I see lots of talk about project boats, I’m wondering if anyone might be interested in a project Islander 30 from 1974. It was damaged in hurricane Katrina, has a hole in the hull of unknown size and location, is in shallow water from which it has to be lifted out. It has had a good bit of water in it. Just how much I can’t say. When I got back to it (a month after the hurricane), it was tilted towards the bow, and the water went from just below the engine to just over the point of the bow. I put a Rule pump into it and pumped for an hour without changing the water level inside which was same as lake outside. Since then, the lake level has dropped enough that most of the water is gone, but there is a good bit of muck inside. There are several dock storage boxes in the water near where the boat came to rest, and one might go with the boat and have a spinnaker in it. Some large crane operations were charging $150 a foot to pick up boats. But a friend suggested that he had rented a cherry picker crane to handle some beams up in the Chicago area and figured an energetic enough person might use one to pick up the boat for a lot less. The boat weighs about 8600 lb, and ads show cherry pickers handling considerably more that that. The mast and all rigging has been taken off, so wouldn’t get in the way of do-it-yourself salvage. The mast is good, but the spreaders have been bent. The Harken roller furling has been taken off also, and the top section somewhat cut into; don’t know if this damage is just superficial. It has a Palmer engine that was running well; compression on 3 cylinders was about 120, on 4th was about 90. Don’t know present condition. Since I’m 76 and have enough other projects, I’m not interested in this one. Anyone interested?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Bump to the top of the page

I paid 5k for my I30 with four sails all of the standing rigging and a hellofalot of work to be done. When I can out on the far end I had/have a very nice boat. But this boat is going to cost close to 5 k just to sit on the hard. I think only if you are in love with the shape should you give thought to this one. But thanks for the heads up. Please let us know what becomes of her. Ross in Perryville.

E

Eddie

About the Palmer

Palmers P-60s were discontinued over 30 years ago. There are Palmer owners out there that need certain critical parts. Someone might take the whole engine but here are the unique parts that they need. Most critical is the exaust manifold. Others are thermostat housing, waterpump and trim, distributor, water hose fitting atop the cylynder head ( where the thermostat would be on a tractor engine ). There is a lot of activity concerning Palmer engine on Old Marine engine discussion board

Status
Not open for further replies.