Problems with fresh water manual supply

Oct 22, 2020
O'Day 272 Norwalk
Hi, we bought an O'Day 272 about 2 months ago and the boat is great. We realized that the fresh water supply works for about 3 days after filling the water tank and then it appears that no water can be pumped out of the faucets. This is a manual system with pump faucets. It almost appears as if there is some sort of a break that let's air into the pipes so that the vacuum slowly disappears. Does anybody have any recommendations of how that problem can be resolved? The faucets work fine when removed and tried in a water bucket. Thanks for your help

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There should be a vent from the water tank to the outside air. It allows air to flow into the tank as water is draining out. If the vent is clogged, or mostly clogged, what you get is what is the problem. Find where the vent exits the boat when you stick a water hose up to or into the vents. it will blow any clog matter into the tank. You could also blow from the tank end of the vent hose id you have access to it..

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
How large is the tank? Is it possible that after 3 days you’ve just used enough water that the level is below the pickup line? With automatic pressure water the 25 gallon tank on our O’Day 28 would only last 3 days with extreme care.

Oct 22, 2020
O'Day 272 Norwalk
Thank you. No that is not the problem. The tank is almost full when that happens. With a manual pump system is there supposed to be water in the pipes all the time or is the water flowing back into the tank? I think there should be a vacuum right? Could a tiny hole in the pipes interfere with the vacuum in the system? Or if the pump faucet is not a 100% and let's air in could the water flow back in the tank? Thanks

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It sounds like your vent is plugged, and after some use, the pump can’t overcome the vacuum.

if it was an air leak, I don’t think you would get any water out of the system (unless you were pulling water from the tank via a dip tube and it had a hole in the tube.

Greg

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I used to own a 272, and I found that the fresh water vent line had a kind of dip in it. If I over filled it, water would stay in the "dip" part and block the venting. Make sure your vent has a continuous slope upward and when filling, doesn't permit water to block the vent. if it does, once you reach a certain point of using the water, you'll be blocked from getting the rest out because the vent is not clear.