problems filling diesel tank

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not sure you have room to add one, but consider a fuel vent dryer. PS thinks highly of them. My older one came with glass sides so I can see at a glance when the desiccant is getting saturated. It can be rejuvenated on a stovetop

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Many such vent blocks are simply low spots in the vent hose that have trapped some fuel. When you fill the tank some fuel sloshes into the vent hose at the tank. If instead of running back into the tank it runs down to a low spot in the hose, it will be trapped there forever, blocking the vent. Mine was blocked this way for about thirty years. The factory ran the hose up out of the tank top and then immediately down to the hull floor, along the hull, then up to the vent fitting at the transom. Filling the tank had to be done extremely slowly or the fuel pump would click off. After I found this defect, I re-ran the vent hose up and fastened it to the underside of the cockpit floor until it exited down at the transom. That was about ten years ago and no problems since.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Thanks to those who recently replied. Gives me ideas to pursue! Cheers to all.....Rich

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Well, I'm trying to solve the problem with clogged vent line. In order to reach the tank vent I have to remove the propane locker. It's 'glued' in place with caulk (type unknown.) Any hints on how to get this bad boy out without damaging the lip under which the caulk lies?
Thanks in advance....Rich

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Research de-bonding chems.. Some are spray on, others with a dauber. Even 5200 can. be overcome with a de-bonder. You can clean up the area afterwards with a heat gun or more de-bonder..

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Maybe run a new vent line without traps and abandon the old one. Use a different route.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Guys
Thanks for the useful suggestions. I've tried the razor blade trick and considered re-routing the vent line. I'll get some debonding compound/spray, but suspect the caulk is under the locker lip and it will be difficult to get to. Maybe a reroute is in order.
Rich

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Maybe run a new vent line without traps and abandon the old one. Use a different route.
RoyS

RoyS solution worked. The tank fills like it shoulda all along. Wish I knew before. Old vent line totally blocked; can't be removed and can't access. Put a new fitting in, installed new hose (Attwood with built in loop removable cap for cleaning.) First time I haven't given up in frustration before the tank was full.

Thanks, thanks, thanks RoyS!

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I realize this won’t yield the number of gallons directly since the tank is not a regular shape
Ask Hunter for the "Shop drawings" of your diesel tank, and I can help you calibrate your diesel tank gallons versus level on the gauge.
I have done that on my 50 gallon tank and it works great to prevent over filling it.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Examine your diesel tank. They often have a label embossed on the tank with a serial number and the capacity.

You can also try the Goldilocks method... Start with an empty tank and fill till the tank bubbles over. Stop. That way you know you have a little more than you can hold. Back off a gallon and you have "Just Right".

• Wow