problem with toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richard smith

I recently began having problems with my toilet. pressure builds up in the holding tank until liquid begins squirting out of a valve right behind the toilet in the wall. liquid also seeps out near the pump out pump. I figure there must be a clog in the vent somewhere. what is the best way to go about fixing this. thank you.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Check the vent thru-hull and tank fitting

I agree with your diagnosis--your tank vent is blocked. There's an old saying, "when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." The same logic should be applied to the toilet: when it becomes hard to flush, stop flushing...'cuz you're just lucky that continuing to pump the toilet against increasing backpressure has only resulted in some squirts out the system and not a ruptured tank. Do not use the toilet again or attempt to pump out the tank until the vent has been cleared. The two most likely places for a blockage in the holding tank vent are the thru-hull and the vent line connection at the tank. That's especially true if waste has been allowed to overflow out the vent, either due to heeling or overfilling the tank. Both should be checked and manually cleaned out. To prevent it from happening in the future, the thru-hull should be checked regularly and blasted out with water every time you wash the boat...backflush the whole vent line after each pumpout.

J

Jim

pump it out

try pumping it out at a pumpout station it may suck the clog out, sounds like you overfilled the tank at some point and some nasties got into the vent line.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Nooo...do NOT try to pump out!

A strong pumpout pulling a vacuum against a blocked vent won't clear the blockage, but it can collapse the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.