Preventing mold and mildew

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

I'm looking for suggestions on preventing mold and mildew in the cabin of my 84 Catalina 27. During extended periods of wet/rainy weather, mold spots have begun to form on the interior wood surfaces, despite the two Nicro ventilators that are installed (one over the v-berth for intake, one in the main cabin for exhaust). What works and what doesn't? Is there a simple, inexpensive solution, or do I need to invest in a 110v fan or something of that nature. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Randy

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Dehumidifier...

You'd have to stay plugged into shore power. But if that's not a problem, I know of a couple of people--one in south FL--who've installed household portable dehumidifiers and plumbed the drain to go overboard and report an end to moldy cabins. A big part of humidity problems aboard is a wet bilge, so the first thing to do is take whatever steps are necessary to achieve a dry one. Then install a dehumidifier to keep it--and the rest of the boat--dry.

C

Clarity

Lemon Pledge

this is a simple solution for mildew that I have used in S. Fl and for the last two years here on the Lower Chesapeake. This past year we have gotten a lot of rain and many very humid days and not a bit of mildew below

J

John Mavrovich

Lemon Oil

I wipe down the interior teak with lemon oil in the beginning of the season. I seldom need to touch it up during the summer. Haven't done anything this year at all since spring.

S

Stephen Ostrander

fix the problem, not the symptom

Lemon oil is great stuff, but if you have mold on your woodwork you can bet you've got it in your cushions and liner also. Nicro solar vents circulate air, but if its humid air, then what are you going to get? You need to remove the source of the humidity, as Peggie explained.

W

Warren Tan

Damp-Away

I just use Damp Away on my boat. It keeps the inside dry as a bone. I put a couple of them on both ends of my boat. As Peggie has mentioned, check to make sure that your bilge is dry.

R

Rick Webb

Dessicants

I keep a container of Damp-Rid or whatever the stuff is called in the sink. I put wholes in the bottom of the container so that the moisture it collects drains out of the boat. Down here they fill up in just a few days otherwise. The best way I have found to keep the mildew down is to use the boat as much as possible and to keep the boat well dusted. As soon as it starts to get dusty the mildew wants to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.