Preventer Forward Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Mauney

I am wanting to rig a preventer on an O'Day 35. I can attach it to the boom at the main sheet bail and lead it forward on both sides. The attachment point near the chainplates is my question. I have read that the forward deck attachment needs to be just forward of the aft lower shroud chain plate and near the tow rail. The tow rail on the O'Day 35 is teak an really only decorative. The center chain plate for the upper shroud has a U bolt attachment for the lower cable attachement point. Does anyone know of any reason why there would be a problem attaching a block for the preventer through this loop. The U bolt is anchored throught the deck to a rod that secures to the lower grid of the boat. The only thing I can see that would be a problem is that this could be a side load on the chain plate loop and may encourage leaking in the joint. Wide open for ideas. Good Winds Dave s/v DAMWEGAS

J

Jon

What about the loop at a stanchion base?

I've successfully connected the preventer to a suppport loop welded to the base of the lifeline stanchion nearby the chain plate. [Others may shoot holes through this idea (could cause deck leaks; might not be strong enough).]

F

Francois Machabee

Stanchions are not strong

Hi there, It looks like someone tried this on our 37 CC and literaly pulled out one of the stanchion's metal reinforcement rods. When that wicked boom decides to go, it can put some serious pressure on whatever is trying to hold it back. Since then, we have setup a braided polyester line loop on the port and starboard midship cleats onto which the boom vang is re-attached as a preventer when running. It's not perfect but one damaged stanchion was enough for me. Good luck!

P

Peter J. Brennan

Haven't had that problem

yet. We attach the preventer to the stanchion base loop. So far, so good. But I have since installed midship cleats of good size just aft of the chainplates. These are well backed up, which I assume the stanchions are too. The preventer, by the way, is the old rope vang and attaches to the boom in the same place the vang did. We have a solid vang in place of it. It would also serve as a Lifesling hoister if that should ever be necessary, God forbid!

D

Dave

preventer versus vang

the main reason to have a vang is to prevent the boom from lifting up when the mainsheet is eased when running (or reaching). This keeps the sail shape for efficiency. Removing the vang to use as a preventor while running eliminates the benefit of having a vang in the first place. You should keep your vang intact and rig another line for the preventer. The vang is to hold down the boom and keep sail shape and the preventor is to prevent damage from an accidental uncontrolled gybe. Using the vang as a preventer will put an uneccesary vertical force on whatever you connect it to. Dave

P

Peter J. Brennan

Misunderstanding?

I have a solid vang. It replaced the rope vang but is not attached to the boom at the same point as the rope one was. When I need to rig a preventer I dig the old rope vang out of the cockpit locker and attach it to the boom at its old location and to the stanchion loop. The solid vang does the work of flattening the sail. The old rope one just makes sure the boom doesn't accidentally gybe. It is attached to the stanchion far enough forward that the force is not vertical.

D

Dave

Misunderstanding

Peter, I was referring to a few other posts that indicated they removed the vang and used it as a preventer instead, which means a lousy sail shape. I understood your post sorry for the confusion dave

F

Francois Machabee

Oops

Yes, hum, that would be me. Sorry about the confusion as well. The Vang stays connected, we run a preventer line to the previously mentionned cleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.