Pressure Cooker

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just discovered pressure cookers.

I mean, I have always been aware of them, but never knew enough, or appreciate them enough, until now.

There's a table by the boatyard office where people can drop stuff they don't want, like when they are cleaning up their boat, etc. I check it because sometimes there are weird or old things there that are interesting. The other day there was a pressure cooker! I always wanted one. And, this one is just the right size, 4 quarts. It's complete, and in great shape, with three different "racks" for the bottom, plus the pressure regulating weight. I disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly. Wow, I'm so happy. It's a good one, the brand is Presto, model #01241. You can buy one for about $40. The instruction manual is great, and even includes recipes! It's amazing how fast food cooks in a pressure cooker. I made the "ZESTY HOMEMADE CHILI". I couldn't believe I was out of ground beef, but I had 1 1/2 lb. of ground pork, so that's what I used. I also didn't have a green pepper, but I had some spicy peppers, and a red bell, so some substitutions happened. Came out great! :). Once the pork was 'browned' and the rest of the ingredients added it was just 5 minutes cook time.

Anyone else into pressure cooking?

2023-08-10 15.10.44.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I just discovered pressure cookers.

I mean, I have always been aware of them, but never knew enough, or appreciate them enough, until now.

There's a table by the boatyard office where people can drop stuff they don't want, like when they are cleaning up their boat, etc. I check it because sometimes there are weird or old things there that are interesting. The other day there was a pressure cooker! I always wanted one. And, this one is just the right size, 4 quarts. It's complete, and in great shape, with three different "racks" for the bottom, plus the pressure regulating weight. I disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly. Wow, I'm so happy. It's a good one, the brand is Presto, model #01241. You can buy one for about $40. The instruction manual is great, and even includes recipes! It's amazing how fast food cooks in a pressure cooker. I made the "ZESTY HOMEMADE CHILI". I couldn't believe I was out of ground beef, but I had 1 1/2 lb. of ground pork, so that's what I used. I also didn't have a green pepper, but I had some spicy peppers, and a red bell, so some substitutions happened. Came out great! :). Once the pork was 'browned' and the rest of the ingredients added it was just 5 minutes cook time.

Anyone else into pressure cooking?

View attachment 218835
Yup. Learned from my mom....

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
They are great. Just make sure that pressure relief rocker works. Because if it goes Vesuvius it is ugly and possibly dangerous.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We live at 5,000 feet altitude and we have to use a pressure cooker for things like chili, beans, stew, etc since it would take forever without one. As soon as we figured that out 20 years ago, we got one for the boat and use it extensively. Saves a bunch of fuel and time.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Yup. Learned from my mom....
Me too. We have several pressure cooker recipe books and mom passed down many of my childhood favorites that we still make. During the Covid lockdown we bought an InstaPot that combines a pressure cooker with a slow cooker. Now they've declared bankruptcy. We had a Manttra pressure pan on the boat for years. We bought it at a boat show I think or maybe West Marine carried it. It's been to long to remember. Very efficient. It worked fine with the Origo alcohol stove.

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
mom put one on aeolus 50 years ago. still there.

i love serving hot meals underway. it makes it easy.

soups and chowders are better than soft drinks when sailing.

good eats makes a better crew than snacks do