Preferred Outboard Size for a Mac 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
The guys would use the wire to try to clean out the miniscule holes in the body of the carb. Not so good on the soft pot metal. Ruined them.

Back in those days Mikuni main jets (most Yamahas, kawasakis, Suzukis)sold for about $1.50. A lot of the model specific rebuild kits included jets with all the gaskets, seals and needle valve set for about $10.00.

Yes, pretty much any spray solvent seems to work. If it smells bad it's gotta work good.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
"This motor has a nice strong pee and it will empty the trash can in "no time" without the capture. If the trash can water did get emptied and the water pump ran dry... big trouble. "

Not really Walt.........it would mean you would then earn your Nissan impeller Guy certificate too:D

.....that funny noise.............is me chuckling:evil:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I'm having as much fun with this outboard as I did with a Honda 180 motorcycle I had when I was a kid (only my dad doesn't object to anything now - although maybe he still would if he knew I bought a new outboard??)

It seems that the jets may be prone to getting plugged in this outboard - and maybe any outboard you can buy now. However, it also seems that the plugging may be more confined to the jets since the tiny orifices are all in the jets - no gas/air screw adjustments at all anymore.

You can see the jet access in one of the pictures I posted - easy access. You need a couple special tools to get to the jets (10mm extension socket and a very small flat blade screw driver) but its not hard to pop the carb off and get to the jets. Maybe Ill even just get a spare set of the ones I use the most so that if the outboard has gas issues, I can just swap to the fresh set of jets.

Water impeller story - one time de-rigging the sailboat in the parking lot (with a lot of fishing boats either coming in or going also in the parking lot), one power boat had a bunch of guys standing around it in the parking lot. One of the guys got in the boat and fired up the outboard. He was doing all sorts of engine revving, maybe went on for a few minutes. These guys MUST have borrowed the boat from someone. No one in the parking lot said anything to the guys as it was probably too late to let them know that the water impeller in the motor was probably just a molten smoking mass of rubber. After it a while, it was sort of funny although whomever owned the boat probably didn't think so next time they took it out.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
...just a molten smoking mass of rubber.....with that mental picture.....that sound you hear ........is me laughing:D

glad it wasn't my boat!

wasn't sure if you were being facetious about the Honda:confused:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Harvestamm:

My first Mac 25 had 6 HP two stroke, Evinrude if I recall. It was just fine. My current 1083 Mac 25 has the same Honda 7.5 as yours. Feel like parting out the "crapped out" 7.5?

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Well, ya can use wire but it must be the right wire and you need to know how to use it.

The wire is one strand from a verry flexable meter test lead, verry small about the size of a hair.

Hold the single strand of wire between the thumb and fore finger and offer the jet to the wire with the thumb and fore finger of the other hand. Rolling the jet between the fingers try to screw the jet onto the wire using a back and forth motion, your are tring to drill the wire through the obstruction. Once you are able to pass the wire thru the jet use some carb cleaner to clean it out compleatly.

Are you guys sure there is no idle adjustment screw on the new carbs or is it just hidden behind a plug like most motorcycles and cars since the early eightys??

WALT;

You DO NOT use wire to clean out the tiny holes in carb jets. Solvent and compressed air only. If you have to, just blow into it. Wire will change the dimensions of those tiny holes and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to figure out why the engine runs so bad. "But hey guys, I cleaned it out, it should be good."

Back in my days at the dealerships we used to love guys with cleaning wires in hand because we got to sell them new carbs.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
There are two screw adjustment's on the Tohatsu/Nissan 9.8 4stroke.

Both simply mechanically limit the main valve from closing all the way - ie, they limit the rotation from completely closing. One adjustment sets the minimum idle when the choke is on, the other sets the min idle when the choke is off.

I don't know for sure if there isn't some sort of adjustment hidden - but don't think so. See page 13 of this doc for a diagram of the carb

http://www.tohatsu-nissan-parts.com...talog NSF8A3-9.8A3 (2006) - (002N21051-2).pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.