Preferred Options for MacGregor 26x

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sandra

We are deciding on what options we want/need for the Mac26x we are buying. We will be doing sailing on protected waters in the northwest. Does anyone have some info on what options they like; what they would'nt do without, or what they would do without? Thanks!!

M

Mike

One consideration

The biggest and most expensive option you will pick will be the outboard. A four stroke is preferred over a two stroke as it is quieter, cleaner and more enviromentally friendly. Some states either have or are passing legislation to prevent the use of two stroke motors on some lakes and public lands. The Four stroke cost more but is cheaper to operate. If you are into the 26x for sailing, then you will have the ballast tank full. Under these conditions, the hull acts like a displacement hull and will not come up on plane, even with a fifty HP motor. The rules for displacement hulls limit your speed. A 10 HP motor will move you just as fast and weighs and costs less. Less weight being a factor for good sailing. If you want to tow skiers then you need to drain the tanks and bolt on the big fifty. The weight of the big 50 will slow you down if your into sailing, and a 10 won't get you up on plane if your into power boating. You just can't have it both ways. Happy Sailing, Mike

B

Ben

Keep it Simple

Sandra; I have just orderd my Macgregor 26X. My dealer took my wife and I on a demo cruise so we could better decide which options we would want. We decided to keep it simple. We decided against the roller furling. He suggested that because he feels it is better to reef the main sail first. If it gets to the point that you need to reef both, you should be heading back to the marina. Dual batteries are a good investment. Extra 12V outlets also. We decided against shore power because we will not be staying at marinas very much. Basicaly, we got the stuff that we thought we would want that is hard to install. If we decide later that we want a roller furling on the Jib, we can add that as well as 110V shore power. I also beg to differ with Mike and his response. On our demo cruise, our dealer showed us that the boat "WILL" come up on plane with the ballast tanks full and that under power with the rigging up and sails down and no water in the ballast tanks that it "WON'T" fall over on it's side. I have to wonder if Mike and a few other people on this forum have ever actually been in a 26X. I was very impressed with the stability of the boat which others seem to question. My boat should be here next week and I am more convinced all the time that it is the right boat for my needs. Ben

D

dan

Get the Roller Furling!

Hi Sandra....... Being that you will have a water ballast boat with no keel, your heeling will be INSTANTANEOUS in any gust or strong wind. You will NEED to furl your genoa IMMEDIATELY in these conditions from the cockpit in SECONDS. Then you will head in to the wind and NEED to reef your main from the cockpit to regain control of your boat. Roller furling and mainsail controls back to the cockpit are safety options you can not afford to do without. The VHF radio is essential for weather warnings and emergency communication. Install your own compass and depth sounder. I installed a Hummingbird 300TX on the steering pulpit. Install an anchor roller, you will need it to moor out over night in the Delta. Get bumpers welded on over the fenders. In ANY WIND you will overshoot the trailer an endanger your fist mate. The stantion safety wires need to be removable to land at a dock. I have added all this to my 98' 26X for SAFETY! Going fast enough to plane with no ballast and rigging up is PILOTING IRRESPONSIBILTY on this boat. Even the owners manual warns you on this. Leave the ballast in at all times and BE SAFE. Get a keel sailboat if you REALLY plan to sail more than motor. Macgregor exagerates ALL the capabilities of this vessel. Take one out for a SAIL in a 20-30mph wind BEFORE you purchase. happy shopping......dan

B

BostonClipper

FYI Ben

Congratulations! Happy sailing. Perhaps worth looking at to understand the stability of your new boat: http://www.trailersailor.com/content/features/read.cgi?14 If the mast is up always have a FULL ballast tank.

B

Ben

Boston Clipper - You're Right

Boston Clipper; You are right about the ballast being in when the mast is up. I did not make that clear. What i was addressing was a comment elsewhere in this forum that the 26 would lay on its side in a turn with the mast up and no ballast. I did not find that to be the case but it is definitly more stable with the ballast in. The article you suggested is great too. Really explains the concept. Thank You Ben

A

[author]Mikecz

Get the roller furling

Get the roller furling. It is worth ten times the price...going forward in heavy weather is never fun.

L

les levitan

get it all

Bought new in jan 2001. Had most all dealer options. Only regret is not having dealer put in vhs (did this myself, a real pain), and autopilot (getting around to that). Replace removable nylon nuts with nylon wing nuts, you then only need one socket. I also added a full batten main, lazy jacks with double reefing system, and electric windlass (way expensive but makes anchoring a breeze). From my experience the boat will sail in 30mph gusts with full main and genoa but not in much control(Actually kind of stupid but I like to call it learning). Just roll in the genoa a little bit and it sails fine even in big wind. Also give your dealer all the time he needs to install and test everything, don't rush it (The installtion of this stuff is more of an art than an assembly line). Figure on buying $200 worth of snapshackles for everything you can think of. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.