preferred headsale size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

A recently acquired H34 has a 135% jib. I want to race it in my local club. Would it be better to have a 135% jib for light air. Is the boat too tender/sensitive to handle it in a stiffer wind? Also, it has been suggested that to get full benefit of the 110 upwind, I should nstall a genoa track on the cabin top inside the shrouds so I can flatten the sail better upwind. Opinions? Thank you, Norm.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
h34 Sails

My surveyor and experience says 135% is the biggest sail you want unless you plan on racing in very light air and don't mind changing sails often. For a short time I had a 155 and did club races but it was often too large and difficult to manage especially with the undersize winches that came with the boat. My 110 worked great with the factory track system. When I stopped racing I used a 125% sail that was good for cruising

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Norm

It's really very simple. Think of your different headsails as gears in your car. Not having one of those gears means the guys who do are going to run over you. If you never see wind in the 5-12 knot range then you don't need a #1(153%). I carry an inventory to cover everthing from almost dead calm to 30kts. Changing headsails for the varying conditions is part of the sport. It would be like sailing upwind and never touching your mainsheet, traveler and vang. You just wouldn't do it. Chances are that you may only need to change headsails once in any given race, but if you don't have it you can't do it.

C

Charlie

155%

I have had a 1985 Hunter 34 for the past 5 years and have used the 155% most of the time. I reef early, 15 Knots first reef, 20 knots second reef. A lot of times when I am out alone with my bride I just pull out the 155. In previous years I changed out the 155 for the 110% for the winter months but this year I am just leaving the 155 up. When I race I try to get a lot of rail meat to keep the boat from heeling too much. Both of my boys are over 250 lbs which help. Fair winds and following seas, Charlie

N

Norm

135-150% %jib

Thank guys. Do you happen to recall the luff, foot or leach dimensions for the 135 and 155? Do the calculated ones work okay? Thanks again. Norm

C

Charlie

Have your sail maker take measurements

Have your sail maker take actual measurements. These old boats have been modified so many times that to order from mfg. specifications is not wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.