Precision 16

Sep 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Yale Lake, WA
Hi All:

I am looking for some input to help me improve my sailing situation. I currently have a Tanzer 16 which I day sail singlehanded at a few local reservoirs. The boat is stable and fast enough to be fun but difficult to rig due to the long/heavy mast that does not have a hinged plate at the bottom ... and no relatively easy way to convert to a hinged plate. It has a forked bracket on the bottom that has to be manhandled over the keelson at the front of the cockpit ... PITA. The Tanzer is also an older single hulled boat without a self bailing cockpit. I have been looking for an easier to rig boat to replace the T16 and have found a mid 80's Precision 16. From my research there were less than 100 built and they are from a different designer than the current similar sized P15 ... so looks like a totally different boat. Not very much info that I can find on the P16.
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the P16? Especially as a comparison to either the Tanzer 16 or the Precision 15 (which I can find much more info about and sounds like a good potential fit for me).
One other data point ... I previously had a 1999 Hunter 170 that was a great boat ... rig was more manageable than the Tanzer and it sailed like a rocket! But I got sick of having to do crack repairs as a winter project every year ... the cracks were easy enough to fix, but I moved and no longer have a shop to do the fairing out the repairs and painting in winter weather. Budget rules out the new version (Hunter 18) ... I need to be sub $2k for the boat and trailer.
Happy to hear about other options if you have suggestions ... I have considered Buccaneer/Mutineer, Catalina 14.2/16.5, etc ... but nothing available in my area right now (near Portland Oregon).
I am looking at the Precision 16 this weekend so input on that boat is most pressing.
Thanks!!

Last edited: