Pre-86 C22 fuel locker modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
C22's older than 1986 have the fuel can sittin' under the port aft cockpit seat - connected and exposed to the cabin interior (corrected in later year models).

I"m shopping for an older C22 and would like to build in a 'fuel locker' to seal off the fuel can from the cabin.

Is this a common mod on older C22's? Easy or difficult? Any links to this mod?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2006
- - eastsound
can you say BOOM!!!! as a coast guard aux vessel examiner i fixed this first thing on my boat. i installed a 12 gal permanent tank under the cockpit sole with a vent over board and a deck fuel fill. the other way i have seen this fix is build a locker that fills the space inbetween the port and starbord lockers next to the transom, the other way i have seen this done is to take a tempo 6 gal tank take the cap and remove the thumb screw that opens the vent and install a hose barb fitting then plumb a hose to a overboard vent hope that helps

S

Sylvan

gas tank

Malyea: Rather than using the below decks space, I merely place the small remote gas tank on the cockpit sole, adjacent to the transom. Fumes then always open to the air. Noone on my boat smokes which I suppose could be a potential ignition source for a tank in that location. RK.

C22's older than 1986 have the fuel can sittin' under the port aft cockpit seat - connected and exposed to the cabin interior (corrected in later year models).

I"m shopping for an older C22 and would like to build in a 'fuel locker' to seal off the fuel can from the cabin.

Is this a common mod on older C22's? Easy or difficult? Any links to this mod?

Thanks

Cmark

Dec 20, 2009
Catalina 22 Kerr Lake, NC
Same Situation

I have been thinking of this a long time also. It has been a pain when overnighting, havivng to take fuel tank out on seat, then put back in morning. Thought of sealing off and put in clam vents. But my last idea is to mount box to stern rail then fuel is off and out of boat, would give me more room, and then put in place, one time. The box I am thinking of would be vented in bottom and lower sides.

The real trouble with this idea is, I don't have a stern rail. Called CD and they recommended Wis. company, Built Right(?). Looking at $500 for single rail and $1000 for double. Any thoughts on this would be thankful also.

Cmark

Apr 20, 2009
Catalina 22 Chipmans Point, Orwell Vt
Fuel tank storage

Just to throw in my two cents:
I too was alarmed with opening the vent on my portable gas tanks and having them open to the cabin.
I simply installed a vent, port side and attached a piece of plastic tubing to the vent and placed over the fuel tank vent.
One trip to West marine, 10.99 fuel vent, 2 ft of 5/8 I.D. hose.
Drill the hole in the port side hull, install vent with 5200.
Fuel smell problem inside the cabin solved.

Jul 25, 2010
catalina 22 fairfield, ct
can you say BOOM!!!! as a coast guard aux vessel examiner i fixed this first thing on my boat. i installed a 12 gal permanent tank under the cockpit sole with a vent over board and a deck fuel fill. the other way i have seen this fix is build a locker that fills the space inbetween the port and starbord lockers next to the transom, the other way i have seen this done is to take a tempo 6 gal tank take the cap and remove the thumb screw that opens the vent and install a hose barb fitting then plumb a hose to a overboard vent hope that helps
Hi captnemojr, I think your solution with the 12 gallon permanent tank is a great one. Could you let me know what type of tank and where you find it, and approximate cost would be. I'd really appreciate the help.

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
Some good ideas here. Do any of you have any pictures of you modifications? A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Hope the answer is yes.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.