Pre-70 23 pop-top skirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Will White

No one could help when I posted an article on this site looking for help in making a skirt for an old (pre-1970) O'Day 23, although I appreciate the two postings from folks who tried to help. (This is the model with the whole cabin raised by pop-top camper gear and the mast stepped on the sole.) Meanwhile, I designed and fit and tried and finally sewed up a skirt that works and looks pretty good, if you don't look too close - my sewing is amateurish. Used an old E-Scow sail for fabric, various E-scow sail windows for ports, and a slew of Dot fasteners to match the ones that were still on the boat. Pix available for owners of old O'Day 23s with need for skirt.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Great!

Will - Would you be willing to send some pictures to the site? We'd love to post them in the photo forum for other owners to use as inspiration. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

W

Will White

Pre-'70 23 pop-top skirt

Reply to Justin - I'd be glad to send pix. To whom? How? I'm pretty new at this web stuff - Will White

R

rick

Oday 23 skirt

I have a 74 23 footer with the pop top. What is the skirt you are referrring to. It that the vinal enclosure around the pop top?

W

Will White

Different boat

Rick from Georgia - your 23 is a newer model. The old 23 (pre-1970) was a completely different boat. The whole cabin raised up on pop-top-camper gear. The mast was stepped on the sole and raised around the mast. A fabric skirt is snapped all the way around the cabin ... again, like a pop-top camper. Full standing headroom (6'2") for the whole cabin. Great for cruising, but lousy for trailering. Took 6 men to raise the mast when I launched this spring. - Will White

Status
Not open for further replies.