potential purchase of 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Hodor

What should I look for when looking at a potential purchase of a '87 legend 37. To the eye looks like a super clean boat. No stress marks, no damage from leaks, no bad smells, no soft decks. Where else should I look? In Annopolis, MD.

B

Bob Long

buy it-but get good surveyor

Jeff: I just bought an 87 Hunter 37 about 6 weeks ago. We love the boat. But there are some problems to beware of: (1) The holding tanks on these boas are aluminum and tend to leak. My surveyor discovered leaks in the boat we were buying, the seller replaced the tank (I'm told it would have been a $2000 or so job). Also, the surveyor discovered small leaks in the deisel tank (also aluminum). I am in the process of replacing it now. But we do love the boat. Get a good surveyor and then buy it! any questions e mail me at longbob@prodigy.com

T

Tim Gabrielse

Aggre with Bob

I agree with Bob, Get a good surveyor. He should be able to pin point any potential problems - if there are any. I also recently bought a Legend 37 - 1987, up from a hunter 31. WE love the boat. I put on new cushions, and redid some of the wood on the interior, which was oak. The boat looks brand new. It sails very well it her rating and is easier to sail than the 31. Have a good time with her. Tim Gabrielse BLAZE 42082

B

Bill Bell

37, Great Boat

We've had an '87 H 37 for about 8 years, great boat. Fuel, Water, and Holding tanks are all plastic on our boat. No problems. Only problem is long cruises... Limited outside lockers. Problems -- Sky Lights hard to keep sealed in Hot Florida Heat. Good Luck, Bill

J

Jeff Hodor

Plastic from factory?

Did some of the holding tanks come from the factory plastic or are they all alum.?

P

Paul Akers

Poly Tanks

My 1988 L37 has poly tanks for water, fuel and holding. Being translucent, it easy to tell the level of the liquids. Have had no problems with the tanks. Send me your address and I'll send you more info on my likes/dislikes about the boat. In summary - SUPER Boat. peakers@concentric.net

J

Jim Haynie

Love my 37 Legend

I bought an 88 37 Legend in Nov. 97. I love it. She was even a little rough, but that led to reduced price and I'm good with fixin' stuff. The survey is your first line of defense. The 37 is fast, comfortable, easy to sail, and holds up well for light boat. With the traveller in the cockpit it is very easy to single hand--especially with an autopilot. Iv'e been through some of the best lower Chesapeake Bay storms of the past two years and had her out in the ocean too--she can take more than her passengers can. Worst three features: Holding tank is too small and will fill up quickly with only a few people aboard; swept back spreaders have their advantages but make mainsail useless downwind--you will tear it quickly if you let it lay against spreaders even a little bit; and the friction drive Hood rollerfurler simply doesn't work after years of service--replace the lower drum with a direct wind-up type from Hood, easy 15 minute job can be done from the deck while in or out of water, cost about 500. I had read reviews of this boat since its introduction and decided long before I could afford one that this was certainly the best mix of performance/comfort for my dollar. Nothing that's happened since I bought her has changed my mind. Hope you enjoy yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.