Potential issues when buying a 1989 hunter 33.5 and questions to ask?

Jun 2, 2024
Hunter 33.5 33.5 Dartmouth
Thank you for having me in the group. I am about to make an offer on a hunter 33.5 which looks very together compared to other boats I’ve viewed in a similar price range (£14000)
Is there any issues I should look out for and checks to make (the boats out the water). It’s my first boat so feeling a bit nervous

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well Hello Johnny. Welcome to SBO
Nervousness is normal when stepping into the unknown.

The Hunter 33.5 was built from 1987-1994. Your 1989 was launched after they had experienced the new build hiccups which is good. A 1989 boat is 34plus years old. Time enoough for things to break and then be repaired or replaced. Guessing you can not afford a big financial hit for something to go wrong after you make the purchase. In that case get your own surveyor to have a look a the boat. Do not use the seller or the seller's broker. You want a surveyor that will represent your interests.

There is no magic list for an mature (old) boat. Plan on the boat costing what ever you agree to pay plus again that much in order to get here sailling ready, enough to take her out into the Channel.

Good Luck.

Sutric

Jun 24, 2021
Seafarer 26 Carlyle IL
The issues that I can swear to are: Holding tanks leaking. Hunter used aluminum tanks that didn't go the distance. Look for Poly replacements. Aluminum Fuel tanks. I don't know why but my boat has gone through two in 30 years. I finally replaced it with a Poly tanks. Real PITA to do. The earlier boats (prior to 1991?) had wooden compression posts that were prone to rotting if there was water coming through the mast base. They changed to aluminum after that. Everything else is normal wear and tear and due to time and would be common to look at in any 30+-year-old boat.