Posting Guidelines

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Here are some guidelines:

1. Videos must be hosted on a third-party site such as YouTube, Vimeo, or FaceBook. SBO does not have the storage capacity to host a lot of videos and we are not prepared to deal with intellectual property rights, they are.

2. Videos posted on Tik-Tok are not acceptable. We just don’t have the will or ability to get involved in the controversy over that service, especially if it ends up banned.

3. Short videos will be more warmly received.

4. Content should be about you and your boat and be PG or PG-13.

5. Links to videos produced by someone other than the poster are discouraged unless they the content is related to the member sharing it.

6. If you have a monetized channel (or hope for your channel to be monetized) we need to thread a fine line. A one-time post of a trailer or a very occasional video posting are acceptable. However, this forum should not be seen as a place to advertise your business.

If you have questions about these guidelines ask them below.

Show us your Videos!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Timely thread. I'm immersed in a self-imposed Youtube -'Shoot video on DSLR and Iphone'- crash course this winter.

I feel like I have enough of the tools to get started this sailing season. It's quite a process compared to photography but there is some overlap.

I've been trying out Video Editor apps for pre-editing on the phone right on the boat. Amazing tools out there; I shot a minute of footage of the dog (my only willing model), opened an app, and in 15 minutes; cropped-chopped, added some 'B-roll footage', adjusted the color/light scale and even added some elevator music.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've been trying out Video Editor apps for pre-editing on the phone right on the boat. Amazing tools out there;
Tom, do you have a favorite app for editing? or a top 3 apps?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm just starting, Walt, so not yet. I did that one in the free app VN. It was intuitive and fast for me (beginner). I've also tried VLLO but so far it seems clunky in comparison to VN.

I'm trying a couple more... I want to pick one and buy it. I'd prefer a one time fee (they are all affordable).

After viewing this video below, I'm thinking I'll settle on one of the more basic apps, for now. Hopefully I'll want to upgrade to more tools as they are readily available, soon after.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I bit the bullet a few years ago and purchased Wondershare Filmora for about $100.00. I've used it and found it has a infinite array of effects. Each effect is only a degree or two separated from its neighbour which makes for one hell of a lot of effect. You get bogged down very quickly.

My daughter-in-law showed me CapCut a few months ago and I've never looked at Filmora again. BTW, CapCut is free.

Downloading CapCut will also allow the Communist Party to see into your bedroom but what the heck, it's a small price to pay for a good editing program :yikes: .

Mar 31, 2023
C&C 33 Mk 1 Portland
I'm just starting, Walt, so not yet. I did that one in the free app VN. It was intuitive and fast for me (beginner). I've also tried VLLO but so far it seems clunky in comparison to VN.

I'm trying a couple more... I want to pick one and buy it. I'd prefer a one time fee (they are all affordable).

After viewing this video below, I'm thinking I'll settle on one of the more basic apps, for now. Hopefully I'll want to upgrade to more tools as they are readily available, soon after.

Can I please ask how you embedded the YouTube video? What of the options in the toolbar did you use and did you have to modify the code? thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can I please ask how you embedded the YouTube video? What of the options in the toolbar did you use and did you have to modify the code? thanks!
In the tool bar at top of the "reply" box use the "link", "picture frame" and "camera" icons to pull YouTube urls (or anything with a URL, I guess) down to your message. Right clicking on a YT video or picture will provide a URL you can drop into appropriate picture or video's insert box. The videos offer multiple selections, such as url from the beginning or from a designated point. All pretty straightforward.

Regarding pictures, once the jpg is inserted into the text, hover the cursor over the lower part and a selection box appears that willl allow you to post a link to the source. For instance, you insert a picture then you can imbed the link to anything relevant to the picture.

MOST IMPORTANT; You can adjust the size of your picture from the same box, or by hovering the curser over the corner till changes to a "change size" arrow.... It all works just like a word processor.

Non YT stuff, such as pic on your computer, can be uploaded as an attachment using the button at lower left corner. Good luck

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Easiest way ( I do it all the time) is to use the share/copy link in YT, then paste the link in your post…

Boom!

Easy peasy

Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is Windows version too , but for the Apple world...
I just did a video recording of my iMac screen for @jssailem to show how to use Windy.com to forecast weather in front of your boat.

BoatInfo.png

Not a movie, but I could do that in various video upload spots, use the APP noted.

Jim...

PS: @dLj see how easy on your new iPhone?