Possible rudder issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2008
Cal 29 Lake Mead
I own a newport 27TM and am having severe problems holding on to this boat while sailing. I can go downwind ok but going to weather my boat has crazy weather helm. I have a wheel and I can trun it all the way to starboard and it wants to take off to port and likewise on the other side depending on the tack. I have a friend who is also a seasoned sailor and he said he thinks my rudder could possibly be too small. Has any one else had this problem? I race this boat and am about to sell it because it becomes very dangerous in heavy air. Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Mast rake

You might have too much or too little mast rake. Everyboat is different but generally if you hang a heavy object to the mail halyard and the boat is level, it should be a few inches away aft from the base of the mast.

A little weather helm is generally a good thing. Too much is not good.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Can you describe your sail trim

Can you describe your sail trim when going to weather? Weather helm can normally be tamed by rig or sail adjustments. Some boats have more than others but what you describe is not normal.. Sometimes even an inch or two of for or aft mast rake makes a big difference...

One spring I helped a guy with a racy C&C adjust his rig. He flagged me down on the dock a month later and asked what the heck I had done. He was apparently ready to sell the boat because he thought it was a pig. All I did differently was to ignore the previous taped settings, which were left over from a PO, on the turnbuckles, and adjusted it how I felt it should be based on personal preference and knowing how some of these boats are tuned.. Long story short I lost 4+ inches in the back stay compared to where he had it set. It not only gave him the rake he needed but also got his head stay tight enough to perform.. I still felt his head stay was too long but he was happier than a new boat owner on day one....

Dec 17, 2008
Cal 29 Lake Mead
Answer to my sail trim

when I was going to weather this last time we were in about 30 mph winds so I had my main reefed and was only running a 100% jib. My main was actually all the way out to the spreaders trying to bleed off as much air as I could and my headsail was out as far as I could get it to again bleed off as much as I could. I know your probably scratching your head thinking "and he was racing?" but yes This was the only thing I could do to maintain even the slightest bit of steering and still had the wheel all the way to starboard and she was heading to port. I have owned and raced quite a few boats and I bought this one because all the reviews said she was a great racer but I have had nothing but bad luck with this situation since I bought it. My tuning looks good but I think I am going to try maybe taking some off the backstay and try to get some real rake going on and see if that helps. I know 27's had two rudder setups and I am just wondering if a bigger rudder would help this at all. Thanks for all the responses, I am really getting down commin' in last place every race with a new boat, it's just a bit discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.