Portable Cruisair Carry-On 5000 Marine Air Conditioner

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
I have a cruise air (not sure of model/age). Mine is NOT secured down in any way, it just sits on the open hatch. Mine is not made to stay in hatch under sail. I wouldn't expect other models to allow that either by perhaps some more responses will help answer your question without doubt. Regards, Jonny Q

Edit: welcome to SBO!

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
I have seen a Cruise-Air locked in place in a hatch by drilling holes thru the cold air discharge duct (under the hatch) and passing a dowel all the way thru the duct. This prevents the AC unit from lifting out of the hatch and makes it difficult to steal. Holes were drilled in the end of the dowel and cotter pins or small bolts used to keep dowel in place. Dowel needs to be wider than the hatch.

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
I opted out of the AC when ordering my Beneteau Oceanis 37. There are a bunch of portable AC units where you just run an exhaust hose to a porthole. They run up to I believe 14,000 BTU. When cruising just stow or leave ashore. I save close to $5000.00 by purchasing a 12,000 BTU unit. When they break you just buy another one.

Oct 13, 2013
Still waiting on my Beneteau. I'm looking at the Edge Star Extreme Cool 12,000 BTU unit. You can view it at: http://www.compactappliance.com/Edg...00-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/AP12000S.html
The unit has a 5 star rating and there are 153 reviews from customers that give it an average 4 1/2 stars.
The unit at Compact Appliances sells for $ 379.99.
Look at it as a throw away unit. Run it till it drops and then get another one. That's my plan vs.$5530.00 for Beneteau to supply AC.
Cruise-Air out of India even supplies similar units but I don't know if in the US. This unit looks similar to theirs'. Maybe they make it for them. These small portable units are very popular in Europe since most people don't have central Air. First units I saw were in Europe.
I'll probably place it in the Saloon and exhaust thru a porthole at the Galley. I'll use a small fan to circulate the air up to the forward compartment for sleeping.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
That's the route I am taking too. Not sure why more boaters aren't going this route over expense central units and heavy Cruisair carry-on's. Can easily operate off a Honda 2000 too. You can roll it to the area you want it and store while under sail. I will have to check the Edgestar out....I like the noise db level compared to the others.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's the route I am taking too. Not sure why more boaters aren't going this route over expense central units and heavy Cruisair carry-on's.
It's cost vs convenience thing. A built in system will be quieter, cool the whole boat evenly, be totally hidden, and come on at a touch of a button.

Hatch mounted or wheel units roar while running, will not cool the entire boat on a hot day, have to be set up every time, and look a little hillbilly to boot.

Oct 13, 2013
My ordered Beneteau has every bell and whistle you can get including essentials like water maker and extra fuel. I also try to only get the best. Still to spend 5300 on an AC system; I'd rather have more important toys. I took the advice of my dealer on this one and I believe he is right. The water maker goes where the AC would have been. A perfect place for it.
Vietnam and being an artillery forward observer didn't help my hearing any. I doubt the portable AC will be noticed about the crickets sounds I constantly hear. It's like sleeping in the deep woods surrounded by night insects. LOL

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My ordered Beneteau has every bell and whistle you can get including essentials like water maker and extra fuel. I also try to only get the best. Still to spend 5300 on an AC system; I'd rather have more important toys. I took the advice of my dealer on this one and I believe he is right. The water maker goes where the AC would have been. A perfect place for it.
Vietnam and being an artillery forward observer didn't help my hearing any. I doubt the portable AC will be noticed about the crickets sounds I constantly hear. It's like sleeping in the deep woods surrounded by night insects. LOL
Pilgrim,

No worries, you are making the right call for yourself! In the end its all about how you spend your own money and the tradeoffs you have to make. I'm kinda jealous of you; from what I can tell the new O37 is going to be a hell of a boat. Enjoy!

Oct 13, 2013
Pilgrim,

No worries, you are making the right call for yourself! In the end its all about how you spend your own money and the tradeoffs you have to make. I'm kinda jealous of you; from what I can tell the new O37 is going to be a hell of a boat. Enjoy!
Thanks Jackdaw. I'm excited. Just waiting on the delivery date. Plan to spend my remaining years on her.