Port side window

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Yesterday I was out sailing with and heard a pop. Had no idea what it could have been until I returned to the slip I saw a crack in the port side window. Clear through from bottom to top. Three questions. 1, Has anyone had this happen to them? 2, Any idea why this would happen after 26 years ? 3, can I find a replacement through Catalina direct or should I just go to a local plastic dealer with the old window as a template? That was sort of 4 questions.

As a short term fix I was thinking of running a bead of crazy glue or some similar thin glue into the crack and let is wet up. Maybe that may even be a simple solution for the season.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Cheers,
Curt

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
My Capri 22 had a crack in the starboard deadlight when I bought it several years ago. I expected that it would leak, but it has not since 2008.

The plexiglass can be easily cut with a bandsaw or jigsaw. When making the template, be accurate. But the dimensions have a bit of tolerance. Any screw or bolt holes may not be identical on both sides. I would change both sides so they match.

The plexiglass is crazed and I plan to replace it "soon". Last year I replaced the same type of deadlight on my O'Day 19. It was the same construction technique. The plexiglass should be tinted to block out excess sunlight. Otherwise, it simply bolts on to the cabin side. Use a good adhesive made for plexiglass. It comes in a tube needing a caulking gun dispensing tool.

Make sure you use the black adhesive somewhat sparingly. I used too much. It spreads out when compressed. Do any clean up right away!

www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/produc ... -black.cfm

FROM CATALINA DIRECT:
Used on all Catalinas built after about 1986. Any boat with tinted plexiglas fixed ports (deadlights in nautical terms, windows for the rest of us) use this sealant to bond the glazing to the boat. It is an industrial product used to install glass curtain walls in high-rise office buildings.

Early boats had self tapping screws through the plexiglas in addition. Over time the plexiglas was prone to breaking at the screw holes. On later boats, Catalina eliminated the screws. This reduced the breakage problem with no apparent reduction in integrity. It turns out the bond holds more tenaciously than the screws!

This special sealant is also used to install replacement glazing into an aluminum framed forward hatch. It has the right properties for a permanent bond between the plexiglas glazing and the aluminum frame of the hatch.

10.3 ounce cartridge. Black.

Jan 22, 2008
Tom said:
Here is a link to Boatworkstoday.com where they show how to make and install new deadlights. This website has a bunch of useful information if you are planning on doing fiberglass repairs as well.

Cutting new glass http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/1730

Installation http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/1735
Wish I knew about the 3M VHB 5952 adhesive tape before doing my O'Day 19 deadlights.
Wish I knew what Andy Miller drinks (or otherwise consumes) to work so fast!

Boatworks Today has many wonderful instructions. Worth visiting...

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only Capri to ever have a cracked Deadlight. I learned a new word today.

I will absolutely be using 3M VHB Tape to secure the new deadlight and forego the screws along with Dow Corning sealant. Small rolls of VHB Tape are available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Thank you for the information.

Cheers,
Curt

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
By the way, that's Dow Corning 795... might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere... but I believe strongly in supporting CatalinaDirect... because their support is amazing.

Jan 22, 2008
shnool said:
By the way, that's Dow Corning 795... might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere... but I believe strongly in supporting CatalinaDirect... because their support is amazing.
I regularly purchase things from Catalina Direct. They pack the required "little things" so the assembly goes very smoothly. They are also very good about verifying any order that might seem a bit strange. (I had ordered parts for a non-Catalina project.) I find their pricing to be very competitive especially after including the extra little things and not having to take an emergency trip to my local West Marine (an hour each way).