Port Settee Table Storage & Mattress Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Calhoun

Greetings, All, I just purchased a 1984 Catalina 30. I believe it has the "standard" interior; the dinette table lowers down to form a double bed. I have two questions/issues with this setup: 1) We usually don't want the table in place to have more room in the cabin. The PO would just lay it in the quarter berth. However, this is proving quite inconvenient for a number of reasons, so we'd like to be able to store it agains the forward saloon bulkhead (the aft head bulhead). However, even after a lot of thinking and shopping for brackets of various types, we're unable to come up with a good solution. Has anyone set up any way to mount this heavy table up out of the way on the bulhead? 2) When we use this table to make a port settee berth, the settee mattresses do not seem to form a very good bed. While I'm admittedly never been good at jigsaw puzzles, my wife and I have tried very hard to arrange the mattress in some way that makes this setup work--but to no avail. Are they supposed to fit together some nice way to make a neat bed? Thanks, Barry

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
jigsaw puzzle

In my 1989 C30 the backrest cushions in the quarterberth fit perfectly on the table. Used it again this splendid winter weekend....... have fun!

T

Tom

3 cushions

There are 3 cushions that are added ontop of the lowered table to turn the table into a berth (a short berth). The smallest cushion is in Roger's picture below, against the bulkhead and the table. The 2 longer cushions are usually stored in the quarterberth. The biggest cushion is snapped to the outside of the qberth (the stbd side of the boat) and the smaller cushion is stored along the wall under the companionway ladder. The 2 long cushions run lengthwise on the table (long edges along the length of the boat). The 3rd smallest cushion fills the space of the smaller of the 2 cushions, and runs with its longest edge running abeam of the boat. This is usually along the forward bulkhead of my boat. I also carry a thin 3/4" thick piece of foam to lay ontop of all the cushions, to avoid feeling the gaps between the cushions. A bed sheet layed over all this keeps the cushions together to form a bed. I measured the lowered table as a short berth, only 5'11" long; have to sleep diagonally. I have heard of some people adding slats and building their own 4th cushion to enable sleeping athwartships. The forms a long berth that is approximately queen-sized in area. Some say that the queen-sized Aero bed can then be used in this area.

B

Barry Calhoun

Thanks, Guys,

for the great information and photo! That helps a lot! It is starting to make sense (why I couldn't figure it out, that is!): Our boat does not have the U-shaped piece of wood to mount the table, nor a barrel-bolt on the mast support; all it has is a small piece of wood near the bottom of the bulkhead to support the table when used as a berth. Also, the only Q-berth (or V-berth) cushions that we have are the bottom ones--no side ones to put on the table for a mattress. So, I guess that means that I need to find out where I can get that piece of wood. (I can probably figure out the barrel-bolt.) Does anyone know if Catalina would still make/sell something like that?? Or of another source? Thanks, Barry

B

Barry Calhoun

Thanks for the photo!

Looks pretty simple, if I can find (or make) the piece of teak at the bottom. l'm going to call CatalinaDirect right now.... Barry

B

Barry Calhoun

Need Some Measurements!

Well, guys, I have talked to Catalina and CatalinaDirect and they both claim that the dinette table storage set-up that everyone has discussed wasn't factory (and illustrated in Roger's photos). I definitely like it, but need some help cutting out a piece of wood the right size. Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of their teak piece (length, width, depth, depth of slot, distance from floor, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it. Also, can I assume that this piece also doubles as the forward rest for the table when it's used as a berth? Thanks, Barry

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
Barry

If you store the table in the head just make sure guys sit down to pee :(

B

Barry Calhoun

Thanks for the photos and measurements

That helps a lot. Supposedly Catalina has the part. I keep getting conflicting information from them.....If not, I'll be able to make it now after seeing the photos. Barry

B

Barry Calhoun

We aim to please--

you aim, too, please. :) We went out for a three day trip this weekend on the boat. It was great! (Although extremely hot here in Florida.) I took a peak in the head and we won't be able to fit ours there due to a mirror and a couple of handles. So, we'll just probably put ours on the saloon bulkhead... Barry

B

Barry Calhoun

My table is mounted!

Well, everyone, thanks for all the info (and photos, Roger). I just wanted to post a follow-up message to let everyone know that Catalina does have the teak support for the table to be mounted vertically on the bulkhead. It and the installation kit (two bolts and hardware) were $36.00. They shipped it to me next-day. Took my wife and I about 15 minutes to install it and the barrel bolt. It's great to have that table stowed away!

R

Roger

Table Mount

Good job; I know it's nice making progress in the seemingly never-ending list of improvements most of us have on our good-old-boats...

Status
Not open for further replies.