Port San Luis

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Cabrillo Beach anchorage looking west. It’s a bit breezy in here for this early in the day. West wind got up gusting to over 15 kt about an hr ago, and is still there. Should be a quick run down to Alamitos Bay.
E839A3F1-5EA8-49D9-88C7-C4DDC054E45D.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I hope the water is at least as smooth as it appears in your photo....

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I hope the water is at least as smooth as it appears in your photo....

dj
It is as long as we’re inside the breakwater. Outside of it, then like yesterday. Alan swung by this morning just before 0900 for greetings on his way out to cross the channel. My guess it’s pretty hairy out there right. I doubt he could have gotten to Cat Harbor by now. It takes us minimally about 5 1/2 hr to make that upwind 35 n.mi., assuming we are not tacking, etc.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Never having sailed over that way, just after posting I googled the area and saw the breakwater. That's one heck of a long breakwater! Good for you. Enjoy the run!

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It is as long as we’re inside the breakwater. Outside of it, then like yesterday. Alan swung by this morning just before 0900 for greetings on his way out to cross the channel. My guess it’s pretty hairy out there right. I doubt he could have gotten to Cat Harbor by now. It takes us minimally about 5 1/2 hr to make that upwind 35 n.mi., assuming we are not tacking, etc.
Just started gusting to over 19 in here. It’ll get into the 20’s before the end of the afternoon. But, it’s likely a little better out away from Palos Verdes peninsula. NOAA #46025, Santa Monica Basin buoy, has it gusting to 15 kt; seas are classified Average to Steep, with steep better represented.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Never having sailed over that way, just after posting I googled the area and saw the breakwater. That's one heck of a long breakwater! Good for you. Enjoy the run!

dj
Thanks. Yeah. About 6 n.mi. long. It protects LA and Long Beach harbors.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Peak wind gusts in here today that we’ve seen so far, 28 knots. Sustained winds at 23 - 24 knots. Good holding in mud; me #45 Plowmaster.:dancing:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Home! My personal thanks to each of you for the interest shown in my adventure up and down a part of the central California coast, and visits to a pair of its offshore islands!
KG

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks to you for sharing a beautiful trip! It was lovely to watch and hear about your travels!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the trip log, KG.

Rest up and take out the garbage clean the house, water the garden.

Then when you’ve built up ahead of steam again we look forward to the next adventure.