"Port"ly Catalina 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor

Although not noticeable at first, my 1986 C36 lists to port when at rest. When surveyed, it was barely noticeable that the keel was a bit off center (or appeared to be in the slings). Has anyone else had similar problems with a 36? The interior layout places the galley and head on the port side, but the batteries are on the starboard side. I don't have the boat loaded down with much gear, so short of consciously loading weekend gear on the starboard side, I suppose I could add some lead ballast somewhere to starboard. Has anyone done something similar to resolve listing? Thanks for any ideas... Trevor

R

Rick

Some Thoughts on the Subject

Some Ideas on the Subject of the listing: (I have an 88 Cat 36) A. Check with Inclinometer to identify the degrees of listing. B. Empty the head holding tank and run fuel tank to the low end. Both Port side I assume. C. The water tanks should be on the opposite side to the galley. Fill those simultaneously. D. Last thought is that the rigging is not squared up ie. the mast is not perpendicular. Just some thoughts on the subject. Hope that helps..... Mine lists a very small amount but I have always figured it was due to "imbalance" on loads..fuel and water primarily. Fair Winds Rick

T

Tom Soko

Very Common

I have an '87 C36, and it too has always had a list to port. Compared to the oven, fuel tank, and holding tank, the batteries don't really add up to much. I added another house battery behind the seat riser (above the other two batteries) and a starting battery under the forward seat of the game table. I also keep the starboard/aft water tank full most of the time, and that has seemed to level things out. Other than that, I don't think a few degrees matter that much. Tom.

T

Tom

My '99 cat 36MKII lists to Starboard in the slip

At least it *looks* like it is listing due to the water line being above the bootstripe on that side....And I hate that. But it's kind off funny...I have heard about the earlier Cat 36's listing to Port but mine definitely lists to Starboard when I have all my Water tanks full. I typically don't have anything in the holding tank (empty it often) which might make a little bit of difference, but its only 17 gallons. Also I'm not always full in my fuel tank, but I typically keep most of my water tanks topped off I did notice that when I drained all the water tanks for the winter that the starboard side water line definitely went down....I'm not sure what I plan on doing for next summer....... Any other owners of later model 36's (MKII's?) notice a starboard list or waterline above the Bootstripe??

G

Gary Jensen

port listing

My 36 listed to port but it never really bothered me. While on another 36 one day (a 1991) the subject was brought up. The owner showd me where weights were added to a starboard cabinet to compensate for the list. I did add a third battery, to mine, and usually sailed without my tanks topped off. If I were to have cruised I would have stored heavier items to starboard to compensate for the list!

B

Bob Camarena

30s List as Well

I think this is endemic to the C-30 and C-36, which have very similar layouts. Some list worse than others, but most have some degree of list. The previous post about mast tuning points out what can be a big factor when you consider the leverage that a non-vertical mast can exert.

Status
Not open for further replies.