port list

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Ryder

My C-36 lists a degree or two to port. I've reduced the beer level in the portside reefer and moved almost everything not bolted down to the starboard side, yet I am still a bit out of kilter. Is the boat designed to be level when the starboard freshwater tank is full? I've kept it (relatively) dry to reduce weight and cleaning requirements. Any other suggestions?

R

Rob

Same Problem

I've got an 1987 36 with the same problem. Would be curious if anyone else has this problem or if it was specific to certain years.

M

Mark Johnson

My 36 and 42 had the same problem...

and I was never able to get them level. I guess you could change the waterline and make them look like they are! Mark Johnson

A

Art Golden

My '93 C-36 has the same problem. It also has caused another problem. Becuase the list brings the water level above the top of the bottom paint, over time it developed a blister at the boot strip that is being repaired as I write this message. I have looked at all possible reasons but can't figure out why the list. I did notice that when underway at idle speed...no list! Hope someone has a solution.

M

M Kolbenschlag

My 1989 Catalina 30 had a slight port list which I always attributed to stowage--as in life raft in the main lazzerette on the same side with the holding tank, oven, sink etc. Never thought much about it. My 1999 Catlaina 42 sits dead level. Unless the list is severe and quite noticeable it's all moot anyway. Once the crew arrives and the wind blows the boat will find its own level--which is usually not level.I suppose if you have a port list the boat should be stiffer on a Port tack and more tender on a starboard tack. but I never found that to be true on my 30. Interesting!

M

Michael McCann

My 93 C36 has always had a slight list to starboard. I always stow heavier items on the port side. The list is also increased whenever guests are aboard as it is easier to sit on the starboard setee. Michael

B

Bob Camarena

You're not Alone

I've owned a C-27, a C-30, and know of many C-36s. Most, if not all list to port. I think it has to do with the design, with the galley, dinnete, head, and the large lazerette all on the port side. My C-30's holding tank is also on the port side. You can trim it out with stowage, water tankage, and in some cases that I know of, extra batteries on starboard. I know that in some of the C-27s and C-30s, the list is aggravated by the mast being slightly out of column to starboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.