Pop top lateral movement

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Macgregor Venture 25 Atlanta
I am working on my 1975 Venture 25 and noticed the pop top slide almost 3" across the support tube. This is while on the trailer. I do not have the locking braces (plan on making them of 1" conduit) but am just raising the top to install new bulkhead. I can only imagine the movement I might get on the water. Even the pneumatic shocks would strain or break to hold that heavy slab. Man I don't want to be there if that baby gets slammed shut or falls. I'm thinking hose clamps to keep the brackets/top in place on the tube. There a u shaped bracket holding the top to the support tube, 2 on each tube, but nothing to keep it from sliding all the way to the 90○ bend. Btw is 1/2" ply enough for bulkhead? Pic to follow

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Best not to sail with the pop top open. Think of that big open hole in the top of your boat. :yikes:

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Thanks CUSCUS that's what common sense tells me. When I ignore it I get wisdom through experience. Looking closer my brackets holding the braces are homemade and improvised. I need to address them. Even at anchor wakes and other movement make it shake. It's a functional but sloppy solution.

Attachments

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The original setup had a screw placed in the tube, next to the inside of each support (aft tube only). IMG_0616.JPG

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@RussC ’s Suggestion should fix your problem. Just tap a small metal screw on either side of the U bracket. And it won’t be able to slide side to side

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
That makes sense and should hold up/stay better than hose clamps. I think those are the original u brackets. I should look for tapped holes in the braces. Anyone know if the brackets that secure the u braces are available, didn't see any on be. Thanks for the insight