Pop top for Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buzzard's Bay

I have just recently purchased a Catalina 22 with a pop top. I am having trouble figuring out where to secure the pop when raised. The manual mentions a pop top slide lock, but does not show where that is located or what it looks like. I don't see anything obvious on the pop top that looks like it would allow me to lock it to the mast. so far, I have been tying it to the mast to secure it, but that has been cumbersome. Could someone with a pop top help me. I must be missing something obvious.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It goes in the mast track under the boom

also try www.catalina22.org

Jun 10, 2004
- - Red Brook Harbor
Can't find a locking mechanism there

I don't seem to have any hardware either on the mast or on the pop top to make an attachment. The pop top has an indentation for the mast to fit into it, but it seems that there should be a locking mechanism there. A locking mechanism in the mast track would make sense, but there is nothing there.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Catalina Direct

C/D sells the locking mechanism your looking for, the have most of there parts on-line now, but a quick call would have it on the way. One other thing to add, most of the folks I know that raise the top drill a 3/16" hole just below the locking mechanism in the track then insert a quick pin to secure the lock. A small lanyard always keeps it at the ready.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Get the CD book

Call CD or go to catalinadirect.com and order their C22 parts book. It is an essential item for a C22 owner. Cost is $10 and very well worth it. I use a "sail stop" to hold the poptop lock in place instead of the quick pin approach that Ken mentioned.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Pop top

Hi, After getting the slide lock from CD, you may want to look into their power lift kit modification. (no I'm not a salesman.:) It is designed for the pop-top as somewhat of a safety feature using gas struts to take most of the weight off the top. I have been using a pair of pliers on the pop top slide lock fastener and it helps but I have had it fall two times before I started doing this. The locking pin is a good idea if it is located correctly. Also, keep the top locked down while sailing for safety. It's in the way of the vang if you have one anyway. ~Bilbo N.E. Ohio

Jun 3, 2004
Lift kit ?

I ordered a lift kit from CD. Do I have to lower the mast to install the kit?

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
LIft Kit

I don't think that you have to lower the mast for istallation. It is only a couple og gas struts located between the cabin ceiling and the swing arms of the pop top. Not anywhere near the mast. I believe that CD had some expert on thses struts design the system to use the correct pressure strut for the application. It won't take all the weight off the top but it makes it a lot easier and safer from what I've read. There is a video explanation that they sell. Video project volume3 ~Bilbo N.E. Ohio

Jun 3, 2004
Bilbo

I got the kit today and it does require the mast to be taken down. Bummer, I just installed the roller furler and am not in the mood to take the mast down again. Oh well.

Jun 10, 2004
- - Red Brook Harbor
Sail stop idea

The sail stop sounds like a great idea for securing the pop top lock. I was going to buy a spare sail stop anyway. I'll get the parts book too.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Mast Down?

Randy K, I'm nor disagreeing with you but I can't imagine why the mast needs to be unstepped. As I said it's just two gas struts like most vehicles have for the back hatch struts. My little SUV has two pair. One for the back window and one for the hatch. At any rate the top of the strut attaches to the Pop-Top and the bottom attaches to the cabin on the side of the opening where the pop-top arms are located. Everything is behind the mast and also away from the shrouds. hmmmm Buzzard's Bay, Sail stops are a bugger for me. I have already lost two in 3 months of sailing. Now I have taken one and drilled a small hole in the slug part and attached a lanyard to it and to the mast. I defy that one to go diving off the side. On my pop-top lock, I use a pair of pliers to tighten it. The diameter of the knurled knob isn't much so leverage with pliers helps. The other good idea mentioned earlier was to use a knurled knob form a sail stop which can be a lot easier to tighten well. ~Bilbo N.E. Ohio

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Struts

The reason CD wants the mast down is so the gas struts can be orientated so that the pop top when in the raised position will go past where the mast will be when stepped. This allows the struts to hold pressure against the mast once the top is raised.

Jun 3, 2004
Knob holders

I'll tell you a great part of this kit is the knob holders for the four hatch dogs. Right now they are a royal pain in the *** since they keep getting caught on the locking mechanism and make it even more difficult to raise the poptop. Even if I wait a while to install the kit I will install those knob holders ASAP!!

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Struts

Thanks Ken for the answer. This puts them past vertical position a bit. I would have thought that the down/compressed position would be the locating factor but I understaind. This kit is most likely going to be one of my next improvements when the fall off season comes up unless seomthing else of greater import needs tending.

Status
Not open for further replies.