ponding aft of mast

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 376 Bay City
On my Hunter 376, rain water will pond just aft of the mast where the halyards run under the "windshield". The deck design is such that they made a small dip to allow room for the rollers that hold the lines down.

If the water tank is full, the boat trims by the bow enough that the pond will drain away completely. But if the tank is empty, then about a 1/4" of water will remain in the dip just aft of the mast.

Also, the rollers under the windshield are virtually impossible to replace as the screws holding the roller brackets can't be accessed.

To resolve these issues I plan to cut out the center portion of the windshield, and fill in the dip with epoxy, then replace the rollers. Has anyone done this? Any advice from anyone that has resolved these problems?

Nov 1, 2016
Hunter 376 Ipswich MA
Did you ever do this? I was thinking of doing the same thing and getting rid of the roller completely. Just one more point of friction on a system that has too many friction points. I was worried that if I cut the windshield it might pull up.