Polar diagram H36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2008
Hunter 36 Kristiansund N, Norway
Hi. This is the first time I have been able to "speek" to the constructor of any of my boats. I have a Hunter 36 witch I am using for cruising the Norwegian fjords and the Nort sea with family and friends.

I wonder if the polar diagram for the 36 is possible to see?

Best regards.
Andreas Lossius

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Andreas,

The subject of polar diagrams has always been a source of wonderment and confusion. People often are dismayed that a manufacturer does not provide polar diagrams for a particular model. The reason is, there are so many different configurations, shoal keel, deep keel, standard mast, furling mast and more they they could not provide accurate polars in a single sheet. As well, it also depends on how each individual boat is loaded. Accurate polars require that the freeboard measurements be taken, stability test and sails be measured. Even then, the Velocity Prediction Program cannot take into account sea state and such. If useful polar diagrams are to be obtained, it can be done by contacting US Sailing or the governing body in your area. A certified measurer will obtain the aformentioned data and apply that to the VPP. Though they can be very useful, I know highly successful racing skippers that disregard polar data.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Andreas,

The subject of polar diagrams has always been a source of wonderment and confusion. People often are dismayed that a manufacturer does not provide polar diagrams for a particular model. The reason is, there are so many different configurations, shoal keel, deep keel, standard mast, furling mast and more they they could not provide accurate polars in a single sheet. As well, it also depends on how each individual boat is loaded. Accurate polars require that the freeboard measurements be taken, stability test and sails be measured. Even then, the Velocity Prediction Program cannot take into account sea state and such. If useful polar diagrams are to be obtained, it can be done by contacting US Sailing or the governing body in your area. A certified measurer will obtain the aformentioned data and apply that to the VPP. Though they can be very useful, I know highly successful racing skippers that disregard polar data.
I should think that in the development of a 100,000 dollar boat these diagrams have been a part of the development process. Therefore each configuration of the production should have available a predicted performance diagram that would represent a rather broad projection of the designers expectations for the sailing characteristics for a given set of conditions , your results may vary.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
I whole heartedly agree with Ross. Although a VPP cannot address every single boat of any model line, it is a yardstick by which the skipper can expect his boat to perform given average sailing conditions.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
The other side of the problem is you get people that use the polars and cannot get to target speeds and want to know why. You cannot imagine how a minor few cannot understand. They tie up customer service so much it is impratical. Polars regard the performance in perfect conditions with perfect trim and you can never hit targets unless going downwind and assisted with waves. VPP programs considers flat water unless you go to complicated custom programs. It is a situation that because of an obstinate few the regular guys have to sacrifice. Also, there are readily available outlets such as US Sailing for that information.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
That becomes very understandable. There seems to be a population that is impressed with the second decimal place on the speed indicator.

Feb 17, 2008
Hunter 36 Kristiansund N, Norway
This was a bigger topic than I thought, and I understand well the arguments from Glenn. I think it could be funn to compare my sailing skills to what the boat are capable of. And I will not blame the boat. Thanks for good and interesting answers.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Gracias to all for your understanding. That is something that snowballs and never ends. If it was that general, US Sailing would not have strict prescription on how a boat is set up for measurement to obtain the data for VPP measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.