Points of concern on Yamaha 25 footer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2010
AmericaSail 14-6 my driveway
Hello everyone. :)

I have come across a 1979 Yamaha 25 foot "fixxer upper" for an inconveniently bargain price. (I'm not ready to buy but there it is and I have no willpower) :doh:
I was hoping the learned Yamaha owners here could spare me some hard earned lessons and just "give a man a fish" as the metaphor goes.

I will be reading the thorough generalized used boat buying threads for the basics to check. I was hoping here to obtain some advice specific to this craft as to where I should be looking for problems; the ideosycracies of the model in question.

The seller has stated he has "removed through-hull fittings for rebedding." I assume this means winches and guide blocks, and "rebedding" would be replacing gaskets or seals. Yes?
Also it needs a new engine shaft coupler. That sounds like a basic universal joint, right?

Luckily I have discovered I know the owner and he is a straight-shooter so I don't worry about him trying to deceive me, but I am very new to watercraft and I wish to do my due dilligence to have the right questions ready before taking up his time to show me the boat.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.;)

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Y25 is a very stout boat, The thru hull fittings are fittings below the waterline for water intake for the engine ect. They best be right- If the boat is in the water and it needs a bilge pump to stay afloat-they aren't right. my 1978 Y25 is very dry above (ie deck fittings) and below the waterline. Yamahas are well respected for their sound and quality construction and thoughtful interior layouts. The Y25mkII has the unique forward mounted Yanmar YSM8 Diesel which provides excellent engine access. I'm assuming the Drive coupler is a standard Yanmar part ( rubber flex coupler) Check out Yamahasailboats.org for more reference info. You are on the most active (and Only) forum for Yamaha Sailboats I've ever found. We've been a pretty self supporting owners group the past few years with lots of help from other owners as well as the general sailboatowners.com community. dig back in the Yamaha Archives- weve covered a lot of issues in the past few years. Your in the right place.

May 8, 2010
AmericaSail 14-6 my driveway
thankee kindly. :D

I wound up walking away. It was a great project boat for someone with the money, space and time to do a keel-up overhaul and the price was very good, even in its condition, but a man's got to know his limitations and I would have been overwhelmed.
In the short term, I have a line on a very modest 14 foot American that is about as bare-bones as can be short of a boardboat, but is very economical and the work is within my budget and means. It's about getting out on the water, having fun and honing my skill. I currently have ZERO, so it's all up from here!
The Yams remain my dream boat and I shall keep my eye out, build my savings and buy the "right" boat when it floats by. I'm very excited about the possibilities. :dance:

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Glad we could help. Starting small and working up is the right approach. Small dingy sailing is the best place to start. Bigger boats need lots of attention not to mention $$, especially when parked in the water. You should have a lot of fun learning about sailing and boat maintenance ( fiberglass, fittings, sails ect. ) and a lot of it can be done in your own yard or garage. Check out your local sailing clubs and ask to crew on a boat. That is the fast track to sailing proficiency. While racing is definetly deep emersion training, you'll learn lots in a short time and then can apply the skills learned to your own level of sailing intensity to satisfy your desire- be it racing, cruising or just lounging around with a cooler.

HAVE FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.