Poetry or films or artistic - of the sea

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I didn’t know where to put this and decided to start a new topic of artistry worth sharing. Stumbled on this Emmie Readman - Anchorite.

Off topic - Found this while watching DubFx vids on YouTube. (Same filmmaker has posted this and some DubFx vids). Each of those guys have amazing talent.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
She was enjoyable. Quite talented. Neat to see and hear.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Pleasant poetry, albeit misconstrued from application to derelict floatilla. Most anchorites are considered tattoo worthy...if you believe!

F8B4B87B-7DE9-427D-B437-6E36E0E2D5CB.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Sea has inspired a number of great works of architecture.
the Sydney Opera House,
the Burj Al Arab in Dubai.
the Sea Wave Facade by Toyo Ito on a Hugo Boss store in Bacelona.
Antoni Gaudí.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think this is more powerful knowing what it is about ahead of time. It is called "From my sight".
By Henry Van Dyke. Video posted by Michael Patterson.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
did not know the word 'anchorite'. had to look up it's definition in my funk and wagnalls. it said 'religious recluse, hermit'. had never heard the word used. listened to the poem ten + times. i do not understand the poem. i can only understand half the words she says as her accent is beyond my deciphering.
now do not misunderstand my writings. this is not a put down of her. it's me, all me. my brain does not work that way. most of the man made art shown here does very little for me. i only understand art that looks like a photo. i do not get abstract. it's all way over my head.

i hated high school english.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
most of the man made art shown here does very little for me. i only understand art that looks like a photo.
Jon, I use to feel similarly about art. If it didn't represent something accurately, I didn't like it. One of the biggest problems with modern art, and what I came to appreciate about it, is it is art for the artist. Before Gustav Courbet, artists created for the pleasure of their patrons. That means they had to appeal to an audience outside the art community. It had to have Universal appeal and be understandable by anyone. Courbet painted subjects not sought after by high society patrons.
Instead, he painted to make social commentary for the working classes
. He still painted realistically, but it was of subjects of his choosing that often showed people at work.
When the Impressionists like Monet came along, artists began playing with technique, with nature of art instead of the subjects of art
After that, modern art became about what art can say and what art can do and what "Art" is, instead of the subject matter. I love seeing art that explores. Sometimes, it doesn't matter if I can understand the piece as long as I can understand the artist was trying to learn and explore something new
. If I think the artist is just trying to be "cutting edge" for the sake of being "cutting edge"
, I'm put off.

It's like watching a ballet being produced instead of the finished routine. I enjoy the look behind the scenes, but if that's where it stops, it has no cohesion of purpose and I'm unimpressed.
It's not the art I create, but I'm glad someone is making it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
did not know the word 'anchorite'. had to look up it's definition in my funk and wagnalls. it said 'religious recluse, hermit'. had never heard the word used. listened to the poem ten + times. i do not understand the poem. i can only understand half the words she says as her accent is beyond my deciphering.
now do not misunderstand my writings. this is not a put down of her. it's me, all me. my brain does not work that way. most of the man made art shown here does very little for me. i only understand art that looks like a photo. i do not get abstract. it's all way over my head.

i hated high school english.
I never heard the word, anchorite, either, Jon. I missed many of her words due to accent. I usually rely on Closed Captions for this stuff. :)

It's a pretty cool program. These are paid residency's awarded to these young artists. They get room and board and maybe other stipends from this foundation, to allow them the time and financial breathing room, to just pursue their art. It's a combination of poetry and other media, film, photos, etc.

https://www.boatpoets.com/about/

And Jon, we're in luck! If you watch Anchorite on it's Vimeo station, it has the subtitles. Youtube rips everybody off.

https://www.boatpoets.com/images/2018/10/4/anchorite-by-emmie-readman

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
love the impressionests,

side note: i friend of mine's grandmother lived her life in germany. during the twentys she liked to holiday in paris. she loved buying art from those silly street/artist/ venders she would meet. had over 100 of those silly paintings when she died. they had been cheep to purchase. after the grandmothers death the german gov assessed the lot at over $400,000,000.00. of course they wanted their inheritance tax immediately.

i have no stereo on aeolus. the music of the wind in the rigging while the water slaps the hull makes my heart soar.
but that's just me :)
i had a dentist once that put headphones on me to deal with the pain. the recording was from the bow of the victory chimes as she sailed on a light wind day. sorta worked , maybe

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It's a pretty cool program. These are paid residency's awarded to these young artists. They get room and board and maybe other stipends from this foundation, to allow them the time and financial breathing room, to just pursue their art. It's a combination of poetry and other media, film, photos, etc.
That's the key to understanding her poem. Anchorite were typically women in the Middle Ages who lived in a small room attached to a church. They spent their life seeking god and many never left the room. When someone became an anchorite, the priest would perform the last rites, as the anchorite was dead to the world. So this foundation allows an artist to pursue their art away from the world, much as the anchorites pursued their faith away from the world.

And I didn't know any of this until I looked it up in Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorite

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
She would be an anchoress... Thank You Wiki...