Pneumatic Lift for Motor Cover (Hunter 376, maybe others)

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

On the 376 the motor is underneath the steps that lead down into the cabin (the first few are on stainless the bottom 4ish steps are on the motor cover).

On my boat I lift the stainless part, kind of get a finger under the steps on the motor cover then lift the unit and hook it through a little bracket that holds the whole system together. When lowering I do kind of a balance game to get it all down with out dropping the the heavier motor cover side. It's fine, it's been working great.

Since I'm nerdy I was reading up on boats and stumbled upon a 2001 article from Cruising World reviewing the 376.

As I was reading this line about the engine compartment jumped out at me:

A well insulated box hinges up on a pneumatic lift to reveal a 36-horsepower Yanmar actually sitting out in the open, all sides available for servicing, even for the removal of major components.

Of course, every 376 owner who changes their impellor with any regularity disagrees that ALL sides are available for servicing....but more to the point for this post, pneumatic lift? Definitely not one on my boat.

I'm curious of others have a pneumatic lift for their engine cover and, if so, where it's located/how it's attached to the engine cover, as I could see this as being very convenient (and am interested in adding/restoring this feature on my boat).

Thanks!
Doug

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No 376 or pneumatic cover lift. I recently found a company that makes equipment for pneumatic lifting. They may be able to help you with this project you are contemplating.
Here is their link.
I am installing one of their lifting columns on my boat. It will raise and lower the table. I'll let you know the results in about two weeks.