Plumbing in Head - Shower sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Judy Kilroy

The shower sump in our newly acquired '82 Catalina 38 works but syphons back in to shower pan. It also appears that the thru hull for the sink and shower drain must be shut off when sailing. Is this the case with all the 38's ?

R

Rodney Kidd

Shower Sump Mods

Judy, So many questions about your C-38! That's what these forums are for! On my '85 model, the shower sump was tee'd into the head sink drain. On my boat there was a syphon breaker up under the sink cabinet and an ordinary bilge pump mounted in the shower sump. I'll assume yours is the same way. My surveyor recommended that the shower sump be separated from the sink drain. Here is how I fixed the sump on my boat: 1. I removed all of the shower sump plumbing, removed the bilge pump from the sump and plumbed the head sink right to the through-hull. I also plugged all of the holes in the shower sump. 2. I mounted a through-hull fitting in the lowest part of the shower sump. 3. I purchased a large tupperware (one that would fit in the bilge just aft of the mast step). I mounted the old bilge pump and a new float switch inside the tupperware and plumbed the shower sump to the tupperware (now sitting in the bilge just forward of the mast). I also rerouted the old bilge pump wiring to the tupperware. 4. I installed a new through-hull fitting through the hull in the small locker above the drawers in the v-berth. The small locker has a false back which can be removed for access. Mount the through-hull as high as possible on the hull. 5. The new through-hull was then plumbed to the outlet of the bilge pump in the tupperware. Now, when using the shower, you turn on the shower sump switch, and take your shower. The water runs from the sump into the tupperware. When the water level in the tupperware gets high enough, the float switch will turn on the bilge pump and empty the shower water over the side through the new through hull. Very little standing water is left in the sump and no shower water fouls the boat's bilge. Also, the the possibility that the water can back syphon into the shower sump is eliminated. West Marine sells a couple of shower sump devices like the one I made out of a tupperware. They are priced around $100. BTW, the sink drain through-hull still should be closed when sailing as water may flow back into the boat through the sink drain when on starboard tack at extreme heel angles. Whew! Rodney Kidd C-38 #297, Flying Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.