Plexiglass drop boards and hatch screening

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith Sparrow

Hi. Doing some work on 1984 O'Day 39. Need to replace 1/2 inch smoked plexiglas drop board in main companionway. Local shops don't have the material. Any ideas! AND, how about ideas for interior screening for five deck hatches? Thanks.

L

Leonard Hooks

Plexi hatchs

I can furnish the hatches to you. I have a sign company and have resources for the 1/4" and 1/2" smoked acrylic. I have made some for my O'25 and have considered offering them on this site. I would need a pattern drawn from your original. If you can send me the deminsions and whether it is one-piece, two or three, I will quote you a price. One piece is less expensive because the angle cuts are tricky.

D

Don Evans

Look Broader Afield

Nice boat Keith. Get on the internet and do a search under plastics, plexiglass or Lexan. I have worked with it here at work in Ontario so I know it exists. You will probably have to courier it in from some bigger Plastics distributors. As far as hatch screens, for my hatches I have glued strips of velcro along the edge of the hatch in the cabin and similarly to a piece of netting. Very simple but not so neat. I like those nets you drop over the hatches from the outside, the ones with the shot sewn to the skirt as a weight and allows the hatch to be opened from inside the cabin. They are expensive to buy for what they are, but I think if you were handy with a sewing machine you could make a reasonable facsimilie. Don

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Plexi and screens

I was able to get heavy plexiglass for a project through Home Depot or Lowes, can't remember which at the moment. They had what I needed in the store. I might also try an aquarium store. They often have heavy plexiglass for building custom tanks. As to the screens, I built some nice ones for my microbus a few years ago. I took the screen material and sandwiched it between layers of sunbrella. I cut the whole thing to fit the outside of the window and sewed it together and hemmed the edges. I then used an exacto knives to cut out the centersof the canvass taking care not to go through the mesh, and hemmed the inside of the remaining canvass. Make any sense? Worked well anyway. Justin

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Hatch/Companionway Screens

Keith: We had screen made at a shop. I made measurements for each hatch and they framed them with light weight white alum material and put the screen in them. We then put velcro on the frame and on the boat. Easy to do. We also had a screen made for the companionway. This leaves the boat very open after the sun goes down and the bugs come out. If you are handy, you can make the screen frames yourself. As far as the drop boards are concerned, just look in the yellow pages for plastics, you'll find someone.

J

Jim

Screens

I have an O'Day 31 and the previous owner had made screens of heavy fabric (not aluminum) so that they were flexible and could be folded to be put away. Then simply by cutting it to the right shape and sewing velcro around the edges and then using velcro strips on the interior of the hull (where the companion way is, you just stick it on. They had put the velcro around 100 percent of the companionway area to ensure a snug fit to keep the bugs out. It looks very clean because velcro comes in the same color (off-white as the hull) and is very easy to do. A "cheap" solution that works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.