Play In Shaft Strut Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Wallace

Over the winter season I have pulled the prop for maintenance (sent it to Kilian's for more bite and non-slip tips) and this gave me a chance to look at the shaft bearing in the strut. There is some movement of the shaft in the bearing, maybe 10 thousands or so. I have no experience and don't have any specs on what is an acceptable amount of clearance. I would appreciate any guidance someone has to offer.

R

Ray Bowles

Bearing run out.

Richard, I am not an expert in bearing run out, but, I feel 10 thousands in a ball or needle bearing that size is excessive. Did you measure your shaft for run-out? (straightness) Any supplier of industrial bearings in your area could advise you. Have the number of the bearing for ID. I think the number should be on the outer race. Ray

T

TOMMY MCNAMARA

Bearing

If it is the cutlass bearing you are talking about,any movement of the shaft will cause vibration when motoring,if not now but in the near future. Remove the strut and replace the cutlass bearing. The most expensive part is hauling the boat,removing tha prop and taking off the strut and reinstalling. You are more than half way right now.Most people have the bearing pressed in at a prop shop.

D

Dave Kelton

My first question would be is this the cutlass bearing that has the play? If it is, then my next question would have to be is it the rubber in the bearing that is deflecting or is the rubber so worn that the shaft is loose in the rubber. If this is the bearing, and the shaft is loose in the rubber, then I would probably replace it . .010" is not really much play, but while the prop is off it is an opportune time to do it. Dave

D

Dick Hall

Cut-less bearing

Cutless is the trade-name of a common shaft bearing. The bearing housing should have one or two set screws in the side under the paint. If so, back these out and just tap the bearing out. If not, you have a pressed fit and will need to drive it out - which is a bear! Reinstall with Neverseize for the benefit of the next guy. The bearings aren't expensive. If you have the shaft out already, just replace it anyway. Play is either a worn bearing (neoprene) or shaft (bronze or ss). Pray it's the bearing. If it's the shaft you need to talk with the machine shop.

J

jim oursler

Cutlass bearing

I would have the yard look at it. You're not talking a lot of slop and it won't take an experienced mechanice two minutes to say yea or ney.

Status
Not open for further replies.