Play in Rudder - Bad Bushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remo7e

Oct 11, 2008
Yamaha 30 Yokosuka
I've had a Yamaha 30 for the last year. After a recent typhoon I noticed a lot of play in the tiller. The top flange will rotate a good 1/2 inch and the 4 screws that hold that down are stripped.

Can I fix this by just replacing the upper bushing? Can I fix this without a haul out?

I have read that play in the rudder is nothing more than cosmetic but I have my doubts about that. I don't want to loose steerage moving my boat to a repair marina.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
rudderpost.jpg

Attachments

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
The top flange will rotate a good 1/2 inch and the 4 screws that hold that down are stripped.
This sounds like a lot more then just 'some play' in the rudder to me and is not 'cosmetic'. Stripped screws in something as crucial as the tiller-rudder post connection are a serious matter.

Can I fix this by just replacing the upper bushing? Can I fix this without a haul out?
Perhaps. You need to know that your rudder will not be able drop out on you. If it is skeg hung or has a lower bearing it is not likely to drop out. I can't say for sure if it is a spade rudder that hangs down independently of other parts of the hull.

I have read that play in the rudder is nothing more than cosmetic but I have my doubts about that. I don't want to loose steerage moving my boat to a repair marina.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
You need to look into this matter.
My best.

remo7e

Oct 11, 2008
Yamaha 30 Yokosuka
I figured it out. It took awhile, but I figured out how to access the underside of the tiller deck flange. There was a very small crawl space that I was able to contort myself into (hung upside down for 3 hours). I found that the screws were actually 5 inch bolts that had just vibrated loose. No lock washer or 2nd nut. I added lock washers and there is no play at all left.

Jun 12, 2009
Yamaha 25 lake Tahoe
Hello, I am glad you were able to fix your bushing issue. I am hoping you may be able to help as I am having to completely manufacture a new rudder and post, mine was lost in transportation...
I would love to learn how the entire assembly is attached to the boat, was there any hardware that you saw when dangling upside down in the crawl space? Any clues for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.