PHRF Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Dean

We do not seem to be getting much action these days Let me pose a question. A week or so ago we had a meeting to discuss the new racing rules. Here in Pensacola we have three yacht clubs that do most of the racing and have combined to set out the Pensacola Bay Rules for Racing that would sort of standardize the special cases for the individual events on the Bay. Good idea and these rules really help. One area we got into duing that Tuesday nite discussion was the number of crew on board. Seems that the Gulf Yaching Association that issues the PHRF ratings for this area has a caveat that sez, number of crew shown for each rating is "recommended". That is for my Hunter 35, GYA recommends a crew of six. Now we all know that the number of crew on the rail in a beat to weather really helps to keep the boat "flat". The more crew on the rail, the flatter the boat. The discussion group that nite was divided into two camps - the skippers that knew of the recommended crew size and were all for that number and more and the rest of us that were under the assumption that there was a crew limit - because of the way the crew size is listed in the GYA booklet for each of their rated yachts so registered for Gulf racing. I went home an looked at my GYA PHRF certificate and there it was on the bottom of the first page - recommended crew size: 6. My question to this forum is - what is the ruling about crew size in your areas ?? Are your boats limited to the number of souls on board by your PHRF certificate or is it an "open" item such as I outlined above ?? Would appear to me that crew size should be limited to a PHRF calculaed number. After all a major part of the PHRF equation is boat weight. Movable weight (crfew) should be considered. The more crew - than seconds should be added to the PHRF hanidcap. In any case would appreciate hearing from the 4 corners of the Rebublic. Robert Dean Pensacola, FL

L

Larry S.

Total crew weight

I race with a PHRF handicap in New England(Legend 37). The crew weight issue is handled in two ways 1)crew number limit by size of boat 2) total crew weight. The reason they do this, is because you could be racing with 6 girls, and somebody else could have 6 linebackers on board. So if you are racing with women and children you are allowed to surpass the crew number, but if other racers see you racing with too many linebackers, they can protest, and have your crew members weighed. LAS

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Assumes that you have good wind

Your arguement assumes that you only race in at least a fairly stiff breeze. On days with light winds minimizing crew weight is in order. Therefore a standard adjustment for crew size is inappropriate. Moreover, what race committee would want to deal with counting how many people are on board each boat and adjusting their PHRF every race.

R

Rod

The Crew

I always assumed that you also had a crew weight number. I believe if you look at your PHRF it says Crew Number / Crew Weight, mine does. Lake Michigan Fleet

D

Darrel Richards

Crew

Hi Robert, I am the Race Chairman for our sailing club and have some thoughts on your topic. In most sponsored Regattas, such as SORC, Hospice, Noods and so on, the One Design classes all have strict weight limits, not necessarly numbers of crew. In local sailing club races the idea, generally, is to get as many boats out on the water as possible to race. The event should be fun and not over burdened with rules and technicalities. (Sometimes hard to do) You need the basic sailing rules in place to maintain order on the water. But in most club PHRF fleets you are probably talking about cruising boats that race occassionally. Having a fixed number on crew on board those cruising boats that race is probably not going to effect the performance of the boat that much. If you have 6 or 8 on board really makes no difference. What we do in our club is require a minimun number so the boats can be sailed safely, and we have NO maximun number required. This allows for skippers to get more people on the boat, makes for a fun day without a lot of over worked crew and makes more people feel a part of the team. It can also help grow your club racing program. The more people that take part, the more people get the sailing fever, eventually they will buy boats, or bring their own boat out. Of course there are times when locating enough crew is a problem, but that is another story. Bottom line, make your program user friendly, make people want to take part, do not make it so strict and rules burdened that people just say what the heck. Sail boat racing has declined over the years because many take it so serious. Leave the serious stuff to the local sponsored Regatta's and make your club racing program fun and friendly. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck, Darrel Richards Vice-Commodore Race Chairman Hillsboro Inlet Sailing Club

P

Paul Susie

Crew Limits

PHRF of the Chesapeake limits the number of crew on your boat, not weight. On my H28.5, my maximum number is 8. I am surprised that your limit would be 6 on a 35 footer. It seems that number would just about be the minimum crew required to race that boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.