PHRF RATING FOR HUNTER 35.5 1989

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ROB BAREFOOT

WHAT IS THE PHRF FOR A HUNTER 35.5, 1989 NORTH CAROLINA 120 HEAD SAIL, SHOAL DRAFT

G

Gerald McCombs

phrf 138

The base rating on the 35.5 is very consistant in most every phrf area at 138. This is based on a standard maximum headsail of 155% which you probably need to add to your sail inventory if you plan on any racing activities, if not you will probably get a 3 to 6 second per mile handicap for the smaller headsail.

R

Robert Dean

PHRF ?rating

Gerald, I have been racing PHRF with the Gulf Yachting Association for 3 years now and my rating started at 144 and is now at 147. According to my records my HL 35 never had a 137 or any where near this number in GYA. I believe I have the only 1988 Hunter Legend 35 racing on the Gulf at this time. I was not aware that Hunter made a 35.5 in 1989. Might want to check and see if you do not in fact have a HL 35. Big change was the interior of the cabin. HL 35.5 had a different top soul, wider seating and less storage behind the seats, bigger head etc. The HL 35 and the HL 35.5 both share the same hull and rigging so if your PHRF racing association has a data base I would contest your rating, I doubt very much if you will ever race to a 137 rating. I have a very difficult time racing to a 147. In my case a rating of around 166 to 170 would be more appapro. Many local racing associations have an adjusted rating based on actual performance results. The Galvistgon Bay RA have the HL 35 rated at 166 for their local on bay racing. Race on BD

G

Gerald McCombs

follow up to phrf on H35.5

Both Lake Michigan and New England have a base rating of 138 for the H35.5. I was sleepy the night i posted that the 138 rating was "GYA". The HOW site shows that the H35.5 model which has the outboard stern lockers and swim platform was produced from 1989 to 1995. There have also been several 1989 model 35.5's listed for sale in Yachtworld online. I have also seen the older H35 listed as a phrf base rating of 147 in another jurisdiction, but apparently the newer 35.5 has been listed about 9 seconds faster for some reason as noted above. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.