Photoday, Fearless Youth!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Your daughter, Molly is a prime example of the evolution of a life long sailor. I've followed her sailing career via you and met Molly, very young. She was already a sailor!

Tom, I've been following Young, Tom's sailing exploits via your posts, but really bottom paint on the topsides? I can get him some decent enamel if he needs it for less than the bottom paint costs.....!

My son wasn't involved in that one. I'm surrogate father to quite a few of these kids, they've spent countless hours with us at home and on the water.

Some of these kids that now sail, didn't grow up with sailing parents. Plus quite a few didn't grow up with parents that painted,...anything(much less, a boat)!

I applauded those kids that painted their topsides with bottom paint(I've known them since they were toddlers). What else could you do after it was done? :)

What the hell, I'd rather see fearless kids do things (even if they're wrong,...) than be too afraid to try. Besides, I still remember what I was like at that age.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I think you can pick out a young person that grew up sailing. I saw this young woman last season sailing a North Haven dinghy, not a particularly forgiving design.

Nestled in a wave trough, with a beautiful full press of sails, she had perfect balance with her boat. She was the picture of ease and nonchalance.
Northhaven Dinghy (1 of 1).jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I applauded those kids that painted their topsides with bottom paint(I've known them since they were toddlers). What else could you do after it was done? :)

What the hell, I'd rather see fearless kids do things (even if they're wrong,...) than be too afraid to try. Besides, I still remember what I was like at that age.
Fearless and hardworking is the way they should be. Both of my sons have invested lots of sweat equity into our boat.
Tristan (17) changing the masthead light.
2015-07-03 18.24.35.jpg

Colin (21) Refinishing the Cabin Sole.
2014-12-26 18.41.31.jpg

They have both helped with many other projects on the boat, and it gives them a sense of pride in her.

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
The Northport (ME) yacht Club is a small summer only, club, but we have sailing lesson for 7 weeks each summer, with 25 or 30 kids participating three mornings time a week. Most summer we top 100 kids taught in our fleet of 8 17' O'days, 2 420's and 1 Sonar keelboat. It's the best thing we do as a club ad our biggest focus.
If you are in the Pen Bay area check us out at www.northportyachtclub.org, and please join us for the annual Around Islesboro Race which is now one of the largest (52 boats, 2 years in a row) and certainly the most fun race in Maine.
All proceeds support our sailing school.
20170127_derigging_the_daysailers_by_mabee.jpg

AIRLesStoddard3.jpg

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Our two daughters have been sailing since they were born. We moved form a Shark 24 to a Paceship 36 and then on to the Island Packet 31. They are now 22 and 18 and are still keen to come sailing with us. They have seen sailing and cruising in all its glory and all the ugly sides (like holding tank issues and bottom work) as well.

The older one moved out last summer but sailing continues to to be a great vehicle to bring the family together. This holiday season we will jam the whole family into the car, drive to Pensacola and enjoy Christmas on a charter boat.

Here are two pics, One of my older daughter working up the mast to re-reeve the staysail halyard and the other is the younger one on her Laser, earlier this year.

Cheers

Matt
DSC_0961[1].jpg

IMG_20170628_152255.jpg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'll reiterate post #21: Great thread, keep 'em coming!

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I serve on the board of the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center - a non-profit entity where we have a vibrant youth program. One of our board members has developed a STEM curriculum that she has taken into some of the local schools where it has been very well received. Our mission is to make Lake Michigan accessible to anyone. We promote sailing to all ages, all physical abilities and all financial levels through educational programming. It's been really exciting to see the enthusiasm for the STEM program and we are expanding from middle schools to high schools this year.

Attachments