Perko Brand Sea Water Strainer

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 H42 came with dual heat pumps for heating and cooling. These heat pumps receive sea water from a Little Giant pump that brings water in through a Perko brand sea water strainer. It becomes necessary to check/clean the strainer for debris, periodically; mostly eel grass. Winter months while connected to shore power provides boat heating where these systems get the most use. Never warm enough around here to use the cooling side of the heat pumps. The sea water strainer has two brass rods that hold the cover on with wing nuts. After cleaning the strainer, I put the lid back on and was tightening the two wing nuts, when one side just let loose. It seems after over 30 years of use, the end of the rod that is secured to the strainer housing with a pin decided that it was time to give it up.

Sea Water Strainer6.JPG

Sea Water Strainer8.JPG

Sea Water Strainer6.JPG

As you can tell from the pictures, this strainer has seen better days. One person suggested having it sand blasted, which I may just do and use it as a spare. Perko offers the two rods as spares, but first I need to replace the unit with new. Defender does not offer this brand and our local chandlery says they can special order, but it will cost well over $300 plus S&H and tax. Rather than go with a different brand at a lower cost, a quick check on Amazon offered the same unit new for $269, which was pretty close to another brand. Done deal.

Sea Water Strainer4.JPG

I also purchased a new hose to replace the old one that was also looking its age. Pretty much plug and play. It was a chore getting the old lower SS screw out due to such a tight working space, but my knuckles will heal in time. Hooked everything up and did a test. No leaks; a good thing.

Sea Water Strainer15.JPG

Jeff Gay at Harbor Marine suggested using liquid thread sealer on the two brass 3/4" to 3/4" fittings for the hose connections. That was good advice as I was going to use plumbers tape.

Sea Water Strainer14.JPG