People/weight capacity? Do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete

What is the safe capacity of the 26X in pounds, people, or both. I am considering often taking: 2 men, 2 women, and 6 children (under 12). I guess the total weight is about 1100 lbs. Is this safe with ballast? Without? Thanks.

M

Morris Rooms

The capacity of the MG26X is 6 persons (adults) plus 220lbs. With any more than 3-4 adults then the water ballast should always be loaded and only one person allowed on the cabin top for necessary operational requirements i.e not to sun bathe etc. There is a whole load of safety notes in the MacGregor 26 Owners Manual that is usually supplied with the boat and this includes loading info etc. If you don't have this manual I would suggest you ring MacGregor to obtain a copy. There has over the past couple of years accidents relating to overloading the boat and motoring with no ballast and with folks out of the cockpit on the cabin top. With the amount of persons you are proposing then some will have to travel in the cabin because the cockpit is definitely not going to be big enough. Cheers Morris 26X99 hullaballoo UK

J

John Kosmalski

There's no room.

I have had as many as eight on my boat(six adults and two kids). I only took this many because the water was calm and they were not big people. Still , there is just no room with that many on board. Six is really about it, but, not under sail. I don't sail with more than 4. There is just not enough room for handling sheets, etc. For just motoring I would take only six and preferably 5 in the cockpit and ONLY with water ballast. I have had no stability problems with the boat. I have sailed it in 6-8 footers in lake Michigan - It wasn't easy because the boat is small and light and gets kicked around by those waves, but I never felt unsafe.

P

Pete

Capacity followup

John, So, would you hesitate to take those 6 adults and 2 kids on short half-hour rides (just to get from here to there) on a calm day? Pete

J

John Kosmalski

wouldn't hesitate

Pete, To answer your question about taking out six adults and two kids, no I wouldn't hesitate to do it on a calm day at all. Ballast full, of course. Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.