Pensacola to Key West

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief

I am planning a trip in August from Pensacola to Key West Fl. in a 25’ sailboat and would like some navigational help from others who have made this trip. Due to the size of the boat, I would like to travel the ICW where possible. Should I take the ICW from Pensacola to Carrabelle and is there a is there is a buoy marked route from Carrabelle to Tampa or Clearwater? What charts should I purchase? All suggestions are appreciated

M

Mark Major

Same goal, different approach

I too hope to sail the entire Florida Gulf coast in my Hunter 23, but in sections. June 7 I will be leaving Pensacola for Carrabelle via the ICW, then returning via open water (conditions permitting) from Port St. Joe back to Pensacola. I'll have fresh information from that area when I return the 16th. You will be in open water from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs where you will find protection from Anclote Key to points south as far as the Ten Thousand Islands area, where you will be in open water again until you reach the Keys. I have sailed everything south of Port Richey to the Dry Tortugas so can give you some pointers regarding this leg of your trip in greater detail than in this forum. email me: memajor@mpinet.net Mark Major, s/v Lesismor

T

Terry Arnold

Paper Charts Pensacola Key west

Maptech Region 8 has the whole area covered. About $120.

P

Paul Halenbeck

Crystal river to Tampa

You will find a nice free ancorage up the river toward Tarpon Springs, left at the swimming beech, by the power plant. SWIFT one way current. I am fairly new to the area, but the water is shallow, and the channel markers mean-it. Dunedin, Clearwater, all have decent dockage amd or ancorage with little problem. There is little problem sailing in the gulf, as one can hide quickly in Crystal river, Tarpon springs, Clearwater pass, and the pass below. Do NOT get too close to shore watching the babes at Caladisi Island (also a nice overnight), as the sand bar is a real pain-in the ass. Thin Channels, and water here in the intercostal. Sorry I cannot be much help. I only know a few miles well so far. phalenbeck@yahoo.com

W

Wm Mayberry

Made the crossing a couple of times.

It is about a 24 hour crossing from Carabelle to Anclote. If you take the direct route, you are pretty much committed as there is not a good place to "duck in to". About the only thing you have to look out for is a 100' tower along the rhum line. Good luck, it's a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.